$30 Active Line-Level Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:)

I have moved away from using kX as the crossover / correction system. In a live music setting, having a second computer just to do those functions is PIA.

Also, my mixer drives +22dBU signals, and the card only takes +4dBU before clipping. That meant that the clip point was at +4 on the meter instead of "CLIP", and I didn't like that much.

For my system, I'm using Fmod connectors (search for them at Parts Express) and they do *shrug* okay... stacking a 2" long RCA adaptor in front of a 1/4" adaptor as it goes into the amp is really, really dubious, so I have to make sure the cable and amp are always where they can't be touched inappropriately. A DCX and its balanced XLR connectors would be welcome here.

In a couple of months, when I have money, I plan to bite the bullet and buy a DCX, and a RME DSP 9652 for my multitracking needs.

My experience with kX has been really fun, and I plan to keep a couple soundcards in case I need that realtime sinusoid waveshaper DSP plugin I wrote... but more likely, the cards will just sit and gather dust. If you already have a computer, and have no money for something that's actually nice (like a DCX and better-quality soundcard) then the kX drivers will do what you need, and little more... but in the long-term, for people who can make the small investment to get better sound, it's worth it.

A DCX is also a lot easier to carry around, set up, and doesn't require a keyboard, monitor, mouse, bootup time, software updates.... the connections are all balanced XLR... etc... the advantages are not few.

I do hope the information I've posted is helpful to someone sometime, and I hope that person is very patient and can live with the shortcomings of Soundbaster cards and kX while they wait for the money to get something better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.