30~50w each channel with remote

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I wish to make one 30~50W each channel for friend. My friend is lazy & wants remote control. Due to remote control (MCU & DC volume control) the quality is affected. Hence i will like to know about the good possible solution for amplifier and control circuit. I am thinking of usingLM 3886 with mono pcb & separate powersupply for each channel.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am lazy too :D

I use a PC with wireless multimedia keyboard and mouse, put through an E-mu 1212M, to 4x4780 in BPA, to my speakers.

Just the ticket for a lazy audiophool like me :)

Seriously, the quality is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I have heard. The speakers are a weak link but I'm fixing that.

On topic: For a remote, a good solution would be to implement a relay control system with good quality relays and resistors.

PD is making one now, AFAIK and there are some kits available around.

Or if you have the skill maybe design one yourself.

How many channels are we talking about? It sounds like you're aiming for HT, but I could be wrong.

Some hi-end stepped attenuators are able to accept a stepper motor. Even a good Alps motorised pot will be good but you'll have to figure out a way of controlling it. Can't be too difficult...

Some new vol control chips aren't too bad, you may want to google a bi, or search right here.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
palesha said:
U hv used 4780. How is it?
If possible give more details about ur project.

Not bad. Very powerful, but not as much as my neighbor's hammer - they're remodelling, so I can only listen late at night.

I find the system very balanced, doing nothing too wrong. Nice in details, adequate in bass. Nothign shines out at you, but nothing is recessed either. Works best in stock configuration, though I added some big caps in the PS section, my memory seems to tell me the sound at stock config was slightly different, and richer in the midrange.

The project is basically two 4780 dual mono boards from Peter Daniel, I paid about 150 dollars for those, and a couple of custom-wound 22 volt 440 VA EI transformers (Terminated with screw terminals, electrostatic shield). Housed as of now in a wooden drawer pulled from a chest of drawers, but I have some nice custom cases on order.

I also bought some pretty basic 5" heatsinks locally and those are coupled to the chip directly (no mica) with thermal paste. Seems they get to about 80 degrees if I've been belting it out, but in normal use don't go over 55 degrees. So I think the chips will survive.

Amps are wired in pure dual mono, bridge parallel. I don't need a bridging adapter as my sound card operates in fully balanced mode, and the DC offset is about 2 mV on one channel and 5 mV on the other.

I would urge if you have some experience, to try a discrete circuit. The Symasym, Rod Elliots amps, AKSA and the Greg Ball series are all pretty good. A little more complicated than a chipamp, but I would hazard a guess that they sound better, well worth the effort of construction. I just didn't want the hassle, being in a very small flat with nowehere to sleep, let alone keep an amp.

I would urge if you have some experience, to try a discrete circuit. The Symasym, Rod Elliots amps, AKSA and the Greg Ball series are all pretty good. A little more complicated than a chipamp, but I would hazard a guess that they sound better, well worth the effort of construction. I just didn't want the hassle, being in a very small flat with nowehere to sleep, let alone keep an amp.

Hv u assembed / tested or listened to any of the above amps? I hv already made Rod elliot one. but will ike to know more about others for my future project.

Looking at Lm 4780 it seems to be 2x lm 3886 built in one. Hence i think LM 3886 might be better. or if i make 30W each channel 8 ohms then LM 4780 will be ok.
More suggstions r welcome.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
TBH, no, not yet, but....

The next project for me is one of the above discrete amps - I find Greg's GB modules very tempting, the price is right but I would not be able to use my transistors (3281/1302) for that project. Still, let's see - this is at least six months away for me.

The reason I used the 4780 was the compact layout, and that you could get a really small footprint for a BPA if you didn't separate the boards. It will be tight fit into a standard 12" depth case, but will fit. 4 LM3886 dual mono boards would not fit into one rack case, and I don't have space for monoblocks.

My next immediate project is a new PC for gaming, that's a big money-sucker. And those L18 boxes - can't find a decent box-maker for the life of me. You would know someone in Mumbai who could turn out a good pair?

HTH

Sangram

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Thanks DJ Exprice for the link!
It seems to be useful.
Also looking for possiblities of discrete amp.

Sangram : U can use 2SC5200/2SB1943 Toshiba pair. It is easily available in aamchi Mumbai.
Mumbai has got instrument box makers. u can buy one from Lamington rd.

remote posssible

i am building a 2.1 system with lm1875 for satellites and tda 7294 for Sub , and a tda7429 audio processor and of course 8051 for the control , with 8051 any UI is possible probably via rs232 PC or a on board switches or a remote ,

am not able to find a woofer drive in mumbai looking for Paudio BG8 , where can i find it ?

thmx jaya000 ill think about it ,

can u suggest a psu for 2.1 [lm1875 *2 + tda7294 ] driving 8ohm drives , do you know if the local pioneer drivers for sub is a good choice cos u can get a ready made sub in lamingtin road ,

also jayaa000 ru planin a jog wheel style volume control for the amp ,

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Do u want complete active subwoofer or only sub driver?
If u r not using subamp them PS will be different. Hence first decide what u want to do?
Further if u want really high quality, then use separate PS for each amp.
Hope this will help.
till now no concrete suggestions for amplifier circuits. Just some suggestion about the remote control circuit. waiting for some good suggestions.

for remote control u can use tda7439 or 7462 or 7429 audio processors , which u can control with a uc , then remote , i am trying to interface a rotary encoder for volume conrol ,

am planin to build a 2.1 amp , where the audio processor chip gives a 2.1 output , with subwoofer control , am not sure if it will work , the chip can control a number of things what am iam not aware of , i guess it would be trial and error , am not concerned about the quality ,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.