3 way with 18" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Size matters...

I dont think there is a " one size fits all " but in my experience the 10 inch Volt 2500.4 simply sounds more realistic more of the time.
Its dynamics that really make the difference, the easy effortless way it can jump 20 or 30 db in an instant without the soundstage collapsing or voices shrinking.
The Volt is a Pro 10 inch 10Kg beast compared to the little 5 inch 1 Kg audiophile "beauties" and it takes a beast to reproduce a band or orchestra with something approaching real world dynamics.
Hope this helps.
D.

The question of using a 12" midrange is not the sensitivity, but dispersion. Using a horntweeter the tweeter stars playing at 800Hz-1.2KHz and it's dispersion CAN BE matcdhed quite well, like Geddes Abbey and gainphile's speaker can tell.

The Finnish Gradient 1.2 and 1.3 use the 12" mid as a dipole and in the range of it's high directivity. But the Gradient is a rare example of a successful compromize. And there are people that don't like it's sound. I like it a lot and it is my dream to get a pair!

images

transparent.gif

Last edited:
Speaker details

Hi Juhazi,

Interesting speaker in your photo, may I ask a few details?
What are the crossover points and slopes?
Is it a sealed sub crossing over to a no baffle 12 inch low midrange running up to 4 full rangers or mid / high drivers?
What drivers do you use?
Passive or active, DSP / Eq?
What source and amps do you use?

If you have top notch source and amps this could be really good sounding and act as a good reference when comparing drivers / baffles / crossovers etc.
Thanks in advance
Derek.

PS As I think I mentioned a few posts back I agree re using a horn to control directivity, the Pro sound guys have standard fit horns for matching HF to a 12 inch bass / mid.
When crossing over a HF driver to a 12 inch at around 1.KHz - 1.2KHz, it can work really well. But a good 10 inch allows you to crossover up to 2KHz and that has 2 big advantages...Much lower stress on the HF unit, plus much greater freedom to choose the best HF driver ie a 1inch Comp driver rather than 2 inch or even better a Beyma TPL...!

Big Midrange...See yours and raise you 3!!

These beauties (? in the eye of the beholder and all that!) use the 15 inch Precision Devices PD158 in a VPL open baffle from 100Hz up to 800Hz with the Manger running " naked" above that.
The Manger actually sounds better in a small sealed rock sold egg shaped enclosure, but thats OT here.
The bass was a 15 ich Beyma SM115K ( GREAT value!) or the even better, but twice the price, Precision Devices PD 1550.
Running in the VPL open baffle, I found the 15 inch PD 158 could run all the way up to 800Hz before it started to sound a bit" thick and cloudy" , but WOW what impact and transients...Drums and percussion make you blink and grin big time!
When mounted in a well damped heavy sealed birch ply box of 30 litres If the PD158 could only go up to 400Hz ish beforethe sound started to "close in".

Cheers
D.

Attachments

• 005 (Copy).JPG
    005 (Copy).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 191
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.