3-way - Tower Speaker Project with Seas Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
entering proper driver information...

the program it is requesting BL

which of these from that data sheet is BL ? ? ?
(Bl - The product of magnet field strength in the voice coil gap and the length of wire in the magnetic field, in tesla-metres (T·m).

Magnetic Gap Flux Density 1.23 T
Force Factor 10.7 N/A
Suspension Compliance 0.8 mm/N
Suspension Mechanical Resistance 3.4 Ns/m
http://www.europe-audio.com/document.asp?document_id=1709&link=datasheets\seas\h1305.pdf

Mate, unless you're the biggest flippin' genius since Albert Einstein, I really can't see you pulling this off. Why reinvent the wheel? Have you looked at Troels Gravesen's SEAS page?
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen

Check out the 3 way classic and the Poor Man's Strad (which uses your MCA15RCY 5" midrange). He doesn't pick the 10" CA26RFX bass, but plenty of SEAS 27TDC designs there which you could adapt.

entering proper driver information...

the program it is requesting BL

which of these from that data sheet is BL ? ? ?
(Bl - The product of magnet field strength in the voice coil gap and the length of wire in the magnetic field, in tesla-metres (T·m).

Magnetic Gap Flux Density 1.23 T
Force Factor 10.7 N/A
Suspension Compliance 0.8 mm/N
Suspension Mechanical Resistance 3.4 Ns/m
Europe Audio

BL is sometimes reported in N/A (newtons per ampere), which is equivalent to T*m (tesla*metres).
BL for this driver is 10.7 in either of those units.

:eek: i was abit sneeeky and wanted to know fast so i posted the question and got the same answer. i shouldnt have been so impatient

thankyou anyway

i have been working on the cabinet design

i will post a proper diagram soon, i am currently working it all out on paper because for me its alot faster to acount for everything at once and mold designs

pulling what off? what do you mean?

TG
A box of new paper coned drivers from SEAS. The CA22RNX, MCA15RCY and
MCA12RC. And soft domes: 27TDC and 27TFFC. Classic paper cones in new
spider chassis. A box of opportunities - and many hours of work. It takes five
minutes to order a box of drivers and you can spend months and months on
learning the strengths and weaknesses of each driver, trying to find the
optimum points of crossover and the optimum crossover slopes for producing
the best blends of sound that hopefully will integrate the drivers into a coherent
and pleasant presentation. The number of options seems infinite.

Hi,

I assume S7's sentiments are similar to the above. Proper
crossover details and acoustic modelling is painfully lacking.

rgds, sreten.

undefinition (see if nothing else, the excellent FAQs)
The Speaker Building Bible - Thread opened for edits/input. - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
Zaph|Audio
Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter
FRD Consortium tools guide
http://web.archive.org/web/20090902124715/http://geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/DesigningXO.htm
RJB Audio Projects
http://web.archive.org/web/20090902202231/http://geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/
Speaker Design Works
HTGuide Forum - A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs.
A Speaker project
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen
Humble Homemade Hifi
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Music and Design

Great free SPICE Emulator : SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program - TINA-TI - TI Tool Folder

Last edited:
Hi,

I assume S7's sentiments are similar to the above. Proper
crossover details and acoustic modelling is painfully lacking.

rgds, sreten.
to be honest that is correct and you are right

however i had a good feeling about my driver selection, so i will be creating these speakers

in my mind baised on the responce curves they will match up quite well.

however to be honest i was unaware of the crossover being such a big issue for a decent sound,
i was just assuming a simple 12db/octave at 500hz and 12/24db.octave at 3000hz would produce a good (but not perfect) result

and complex weeks of testing would produce a more perfect but never absolute, result

correct me if im wrong. speaker building is a quest for perfection, perfection cannot be achived. that is the perfection of imperfection, because it gives birth to the huge range of designs, and there individual carictorised "sounds" (coloring) i dont want perfect sound, it is unobtainable. i will be happy with good sound.

i will cross the crossover bridge when i come to it

all issues aside, this project will be a learning curve and much welcome experiance for me, and what ever result i get will be better than no result.:)

i welcome this challange

Last edited:
loads of paper with loads of diagrams and what i hope is a final design..

the driver moter will remove a small volume from the box, how much rougthly would this be? or do i need to wrap the speaker and drown it (risky and undesireble)

i was estimating it by eye as about 2 liters?

ok here is my proposed final design... for the bass section

interior volume 58.75x30x50=88.88liters

length of port: 107.58

port entrance and exit: 13.75x13.75

tuning at: 24.3 hz (requiring final volume of 80.5liters)

8.38 liters being left for driver, 2.5*2.5 cross and T bracing. and padding

external dimentions high=80 wide=35 deep=55

all wood 25mm ply (or mdf) all corners rounded off nicely

here is a rougth scetch up (please excuse my poor angles and reprensentation)

and here is the sim (yellow line closed blue line vented)

hosting images

:)

are my calculations, and curved port length, in order?

Last edited:
i dont seem to be getting much feedback about my much liked vented design:(

maybe im tooo impatient, or maybe i should use a spell checker...:D

however i have been reading and reading through the forums and have come to a conclusion that a ported cabinet, like this will produce harmonics at higher frequencys.

i really would like some feedback about this..

i need to cross this driver at a modest 500hz so i may need to sacrafice the port in order to get good reproduction over the rest of the range....

kiwilistener has made some lovely looking cabinets, and i am inclined to take a leaf out of his book....

image hosting gif

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/208490-new-speaker-build.html <click here for his thread)

i will now be using 18mm mdf with 6mm of some lovely ply wood. this will allow flush mounting for the drivers:)

i would probubly just oil or wax them though. i think the stain he applys ruines the natural beauty of the wood (no offence intended, im just voicing :sing: my opinion)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
i dont seem to be getting much feedback about my much liked vented design

To be honest, I don't think you'll be getting much feedback for the enclosure or any other facet of the design for that matter, simply because you are ignoring advice of others that have posted here with respect to your experience, or lack thereof. You are diving head first into the details without thinking about the big picture. Its that old cliche, learn to crawl before you walk.

To be honest, I don't think you'll be getting much feedback for the enclosure or any other facet of the design for that matter, simply because you are ignoring advice of others that have posted here with respect to your experience, or lack thereof. You are diving head first into the details without thinking about the big picture. Its that old cliche, learn to crawl before you walk.

i am not meaning to...

i disregarded all information regarding a higher tuning because

a port that offeres a high gain in a narrow range with also produce more pronounced harmonics higher up the spectrum, where as port that simply offerers a increse over a wider spectrum wont suffer these problems
also i am guessing the driver will not have a high impenance placed on it at a perticulur frequency. i admit i dont find it easy to explain. and i dont mean to come across as dismissing, its just i am learning. and i have a good feeling about this design
a lower tuning will also produce a smooth curve that can be eq'd to bring the low end up if neccecery. and there will be no nasty 1 note bass that can accidently be achived when a 40hz port wave meets a 40hz long room......

in regards to the bigger picture. your right i do jump around abit, yes i was thinking about the final nicaty of the cabinet. but that is because i am looking foward to it and trying to account all factors into one.

i will stay focused on the design phase

Last edited:
it is still the H1305-08- previously i entered the parimiters for the other one, because i had the wrong pdf open. a very noob mistake. so i went back and updated the imput fields for the H1305-08. however i left the name in the program as h1305

the sim on the previous page is the H1305-08

CA26RFX in Unibox
Same in WinIsd alpha

Attachments

• CA26RFX 2.jpg
    CA26RFX 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 373
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.