3 way Pa Speaker Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can make some modifications to acomodate a 8" cone, and skip the tweeter port. What do you think?

qehypa4u.jpg
That looks like a decent cab but is is suitable for the drivers you have.. meaning are the chamber volumes big enough to deliver decent bass? If not can it be modified easily to suite your needs? I'd be tempted to cut the whole baffle out, remove the center divider(drill 3" holes in it so it's just a brace) and build your own baffle with a slot port at the bottom. Ideally you want all the drivers as close together as possible.

2) the same manufacturer makes a 2x15 plus driver. What are the sonic/aplication diferences between 3 way and 2x15+driver?
With larger drivers the center to center distance affects performance up into the midrage(introduces comb filtering) so to counteract that better dual 15 designs are actually a quasi 3-way where the lower 15 only covers up to 300-500hz and only the upper 15 goes all the way up to meet the horn.

most of these prebuilt cab's are made of some type of mdf which is ok for lightduty occasional use but for pro pa or rental use good quality multiple ply birch or marine grade plywood (because it's 8 or more ply's) is more durable and in my opinion sounds better.
as for shoehorning what ever drivers you have into them the bottom end can be tuned by adding port tubes(unless you have some truly bizzare driver that has unique/strange specs)
IMO(and remember it only an opinion) the first box you showed the one configured for the 15" & 12" would be a better choice because of the separate chamber for the mid(at high volumes pressure from the bass driver can't modulate the mid cone)
creating a new baffle for the 8" shouldn't be to difficult and will the space at the top fit your horn?

This cabinet is all open inside, and also cheaper. I think this will fit better.

Are these plywood cabinets or are they MDF or HDF? The latter materials are unnecessarally heavy and easily damaged but I understand the attraction to them with the full grill and cabinet finish already complete. If you were planning to replace the baffle I think you could produce a very good looking and solid system and I'd agree the dual 15 box looks like it would be easier to modify.

Thank you Guys,
Conanski and Turk have oposite opinions.
Tukk thinks multi chambers cabinets are better, and Conanski likes bigger all open inside chamber that will have more Bass.
Turk thinks that , in open chamber cabinet , the 15" woofer may interfere the 8" cone.
I will check regarding the wood type of the cabinets.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice work on those cabs they look very professional. Did you add an L-pad to the compression driver like I suggested elsewhere?

That Selenium design is an old school "concert" box designed to be deployed well overhead on a scaffold where exact driver orientation isn't so critical, but for a small portable system you would be better served with a design that puts the high frequency compression driver at the very top.

Last edited:
You don't really need a design here, load the bass drivers TS parameters into WinISD Pro(free download) and find out what enclosure volume and tuning the drivers need, then lay out the woofer, mid and HF horn in a line with frames touching or just about and build a box tall enough to contain that and a couple ports.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.