3 Transistor HP Amplifier with low dist

An variant with IRF610 would also be interesting.
I am building a simple source follower a la Nelson pass for a compression driver and thought I should add a preamp just in case I want to use the PCB as headphone amp or for a less sensitive tweeter. (Nelson´s simple follower)
I tried with 1x or 2x 2SK117GR but 2xBJT always give me much better distortion values in sim than a FET preamp.

Current plan is to make a compact PCB for the follower and include an optional vertical PCB for the preamp in order to play with different implementations.
Made PCB-mockups with the 2BJT´s in SMD too.

If low distortion incl. H2 is your ultimate goal I´d stick with lineup´s designs though.

Attachments

• BJT-preamp-w-source-follower.png
    BJT-preamp-w-source-follower.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 309
Just for inspiration. No final PCBs and actually not sure if I will ever get any of these produced.
1. Simple follower with optional preamp card (on perfboard or so)
2. Simple follower with 2xBJT-preamp in SMD on the bottom layer.

Attachments

• simple-follower-w-bjt-pre-smd.PNG
    simple-follower-w-bjt-pre-smd.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 138
  • simple-follower-w-opt-pre.PNG
    simple-follower-w-opt-pre.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 133
Hello! Can you post the exact schematics of amp and supply used? I also have build two versions of this amp and own HE400SE. The Denoiser is knauf1919's project? Which transformer and capacitors used in the Denoiser?
Hello carageae@, i have external linear supply 2X25V dc feeding 2X Denoiser, one pcs for channel. I use Prasi`s HPA Fast pcb. I cut one trace that i can use 2 X Denoiser.

Attachments

• 3_Transistor_HP_Amplifier-5.png
    3_Transistor_HP_Amplifier-5.png
    18 KB · Views: 309
  • LM317 sch.png
    LM317 sch.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 347
  • LINEUP HPA-LAY-R1.png
    LINEUP HPA-LAY-R1.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 12-15v.jpg
    12-15v.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 303
Here you go (used "A" types from Philips for the transistors ; there is also B types).
Just consider this is probably still not the best it can be!
For higher impedance headphones bias could be lowered of course.
Watch the power dissipation of the source resistors!
R1&R6 (2x27R) could be 1x56R/2-3W-type for example.
R8 could still be a 0.6W-type but right at the edge with 0.3W of dissipation.

Attachments

• amplifier_ha-formula3hp-lineup_MOS-variant.asc
    3.2 KB · Views: 123
  • formula3hp_MOS_3.png
    formula3hp_MOS_3.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 228
  • own-models.txt
    5 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 1 user
does it have any sense against simple TDA2030 loaded to 150 mA current source (biased toward class-A operation) ??
I regularly listen to a TDA2009, much better than 2030...I made an amplifier with higher negative feedback, specially suited for headphone use.
But let's stick to the original thread...
How does it sound, psycho-acusticaly, compared to BD139 version? Is there some change in the sound signature?