3.5" sub in a huge box with a really large passive radiator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh c'mon you guys. No-one? Ok, let me try again. Here are three candidates for you to play with. What would these do in a tapped horn. No need to go really low, just give a good thump in the chest (if that's possible). Maybe one design for efficiency and one design for bass depth. Here are the three candidates, all from Tang Band:

Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
Power*Handling*(RMS): 15*Watts*
Power*Handling*(max): 30*Watts*
Impedance: 4*ohms*
Frequency*Response: 55*to*2,000*Hz*
Sensitivity: 76*dB*1W/1m*
Voice*Coil*Diameter: 0.80"*

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS:
Resonant*Frequency*(Fs): 55*Hz*
DC*Resistance*(Re): 3.6*ohms*
Voice*Coil*Inductance*(Le): 0.19*mH*
Mechanical*Q*(Qms): 3.17*
Electromagnetic*Q*(Qes): 0.50*
Total*Q*(Qts): 0.43*
Compliance*Equivalent*Volume*(Vas): 0.03*ft.³*
Mechanical*Compliance*of*Suspension*(Cms): 0.74*mm/N*
BL*Product*(BL): 5.28*Tm*
Diaphragm*Mass*Inc.*Airload*(Mms): 9.98g*
Maximum*Linear*Excursion*(Xmax): 5*mm*
Surface*Area*of*Cone*(Sd): 27*cm²

Tang Band W3-2000 3" Neodymium Subwoofer

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Power*Handling*(RMS): 12*Watts*
Power*Handling*(max): 25*Watts*
Impedance: 4*ohms*
Frequency*Response: 55*to*1,800*Hz*
Sensitivity: 80*dB*1W/1m*
Voice*Coil*Diameter: 0.79"*

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
DC*Resistance*(Re): 4*ohms*
Voice*Coil*Inductance*(Le): 0.31*mH*
Mechanical*Q*(Qms): 4.53*
Electromagnetic*Q*(Qes): 0.37*
Total*Q*(Qts): 0.34*
Compliance*Equivalent*Volume*(Vas): 0.04*ft.³*
Maximum*Linear*Excursion*(Xmax): 1.75*mm

Tang Band W3-1750S 3" Neodymium Subwoofer

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
Power*Handling*(RMS): 25*Watts*
Power*Handling*(max): 50*Watts*
Impedance: 8*ohms*
Frequency*Response: 65*to*800*Hz*
Sensitivity: 84*dB*1W/1m*
Voice*Coil*Diameter: 1.26"*

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS:
Resonant*Frequency*(Fs): 65*Hz*
DC*Resistance*(Re): 6.5*ohms*
Voice*Coil*Inductance*(Le): 0.30*mH*
Mechanical*Q*(Qms): 5.50*
Electromagnetic*Q*(Qes): 0.34*
Total*Q*(Qts): 0.32*
Compliance*Equivalent*Volume*(Vas): 0.06*ft.³*
Mechanical*Compliance*of*Suspension*(Cms): 0.93*mm/N*
BL*Product*(BL): 7*Tm*
Diaphragm*Mass*Inc.*Airload*(Mms): 6g*
Maximum*Linear*Excursion*(Xmax): 1.75*mm*
Surface*Area*of*Cone*(Sd): 3.20*cm²

just give a good thump in the chest (if that's possible).

Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer

Power*Handling*(RMS): 15*Watts*
Sensitivity: 76*dB*1W/1m*

Tang Band W3-2000 3" Neodymium Subwoofer

Power*Handling*(RMS): 12*Watts*
Sensitivity: 80*dB*1W/1m*

Tang Band W3-1750S 3" Neodymium Subwoofer

Power*Handling*(RMS): 25*Watts*
Sensitivity: 84*dB*1W/1m*
Resonant*Frequency*(Fs): 65*Hz*

Yeeeaahhh....I don't see that happening. I'm sure you could put one of these in a tapped horn, but what you'd have is at best a miniature low-tuned midrange driver with mid 80's efficiency that that you could bottom out with a bass clarinet.

I'm still mystified why they call these subwoofers.

I have seen a lot and tried a lot, and listened to a lot. but I have never ever had the thump in the chest from small drivers. The closest was a from a 8 inch JBL GTi automotive woofer in a tapped horn - But no real bass what so ever. Impressive at first listen, and boring in the long run.

From my experience a real thump in the chest combines with real bass extension starts with 12" woofers and up. And even a 12" woofer only just gives you an idea of what to expect with even more cone area. Also the midrange is important. I have tried small midrange and large midrange. A 4" midrange crossed between 200-400 Hz, combined with a larger woofer do not give that kick. A large 10" fane studio 10M crossed similar and with same woofer and same in room SPL gives the kick. And you don't need to play loud to get that kick.

You have to know what is going on here. A rock and roll kick drum is full bodies. It have lows mids and highs. Take one item out of the equations is not recommended.

How low can a high excursion 3.5" subwoofer go in this kind of box with a really powerful amplifier? (400 watt amplifier)
Not to kill the speaker but enough to drive the speaker Just under it's true limits without distorting or get too hot
And with a really large passive radiator in a big box?
How much bass could it really put out? Would you feel vibrations in your windows in your car? of course you may not see them but could you feel it?

there is NO 3.5" subwoofer

Yeeeaahhh....I don't see that happening. I'm sure you could put one of these in a tapped horn, but what you'd have is at best a miniature low-tuned midrange driver with mid 80's efficiency that that you could bottom out with a bass clarinet.

I'm still mystified why they call these subwoofers.

They would only be useful for nearfield "computer" type desktop speaker systems.

I think I modeled one of those TBs (the square one I think) in an 8th order BP, and the frequency response & sensitivity came out decent for a desktop computer system.

For the OP, a 3.5" subwoofer doesn't really exist because the physics simply don't work out. And, in a passive radiator enclosure enclosure, even if it wasn't huge- it still wouldn't work. (I cringe every time I see some "ipod" clock radio, or.... wait for it.... EARBUDS claim to have "subwoofers in them." Ugh.)

I think the smallest "subwoofer" driver I've seen (with specs that make any sense) was a Tang Band 6.5 with... was it 30 Hz RF? I'm not sure, but I was surprised, considering the TS parms. I'm not saying that there aren't others out there, but this is the smallest driver that my software could do anything with, and it would still not be with output that would "rock the block" or whatever. Good advice to grab some software and play around with it- several of my projects came from randomly plugging drivers into software- and seeing what they would do.

..How much bass could it really put out?..

Hi realflow,

Here are a couple of simulations using small drivers in not that large boxes:

b:)

PS: Performance is targeted, not SPL.

Attachments

• 3x---4inch_subs.jpg
    3x---4inch_subs.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 111
  • BR-or-ML-TL.jpg
    BR-or-ML-TL.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Dayton Audio DS115-8.jpg
    Dayton Audio DS115-8.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 82
  • TB_W4-1658SB_Bookshelf_subs10-18L.JPG
    TB_W4-1658SB_Bookshelf_subs10-18L.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 86
  • TB-W3-1876S.jpg
    TB-W3-1876S.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.