2X18 Bass Guitar Cabinet Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
32Hz is not a magic number, and 8" ports are also not magic. Go download yourself a copy of WinISD Beta and model the response of various sizes boxes and ports. It is one of the better FREE calculators available that runs on a modern computer, and you can change the setup to see what trade-offs you will make to get what result.

The free "calculators" you will find online range from decent-but-limited to plain nonfunctional. Give WinISD a try.

how do you read the plot window? under "gain" and "spl" ?? what is good and what is bad?

i'm thinkin of switching to 15" Eminence Kappa-15LFA now the more I research this. they have a steel stamped basket instead of die cast aluminum and are meant to be used as bass guitar speakers. they have roughly the same power rating and are probly more ideal for what i am trying to do...

pretty much I am just looking to blow the roof off my house with some sick deep, clear, loud, defined bass. for a 2x cabinet with speakers $160 or under. any thoughts?

why do you say it would do more harm then good?

isent the low E string 41Hz ? it might be i have heard that the the hightest note on a bass (24th fret g string) wont go much past 2 kHz?? so to be safe isnt the range i want to be in is 35Hz to 2.5kHz ?? I would just use this for low ends and add a 4x10. or couldnt I use this 2x18 cab for the P.A. ?
Yes, the low E is around 40 Hz, the low B on a 5 string 31 Hz or so.
The highest note will still have harmonics going two octaves higher, though for reggae, most of the bass lives in the 60-1000 Hz range. Funk bass with slappin' and poppin' gets some action to 5-10K.
18" speakers beam (narrow dispersion) above about 500 Hz, so if you don't have them up fairly high, you won't hear the upper definition, but the dancers will.
That said, a 4x10" beams too, though sitting on top of a 2x18" the beam would be in your face.
Using a pair of Eminence Lab 12 speakers you can get a 36 Hz F3 in a box only 26.5 x 22.5 x 22.5, and have a very defined sound with plenty of low frequency.

Art

yup, if I remember, the 2nd harmonic of those low notes is about 20db louder than the fundamental note. Even if the lowest note isn't there (because the box doesn't go that low), the brain fills it in and we think we hear it.

So chasing the "flat to 30hz box" may not be the right route, and especially when you are going through a pa.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.