2SK/irfp lateral vertical mosfet amplifier HELP ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
medogrizli said:

no 10A per ALL mosfets

Once again, look at the datasheet, in fact, the diagram posted above. The current is PER MOSFET, and is in fact about 15A (look at where 25C and 125C curves intersect).

WHY on earth would anyone consider producing 700W of heat as an acceptable way avoid using a simple Vgs multiplier??? But of course, what do I know - maybe you had some divine revelation why thermally compensating the bias current is 'bad'? You have now started several threads and in all of them we get back to what kind of temperature coefficient VMOS has, when it is clearly documented in the relevant datasheets. besides, Prof. Biljanovic is still alive and well, so you can ask him about this. He will probably tell you that ALL MOSFETs have a region of positive and a region of negative coefficient, the only question is what drain current gets you in what region. This is strongly dependant on channel geometry.

Finally, if you still don't believe what a multitude of us (some of which have used MOSFETs by the kg in many amps), you can always ignore what we are saying and make your hexfet amp with no bias compensation, and see for yourself. In the eman time, we might be looking to the horison for that plume of smoke :)

ilimzn said:

At +-70V rails, yes I am sure he wants single ended

:rolleyes:

Why not? :D

I used IRF mosfets loaded by a BJT current sources, with a servo opamp, and powered it from a bipolar source. Nice single ended A class heater. :D
It scared me once, when a waterfall run on CD. I jumped and turned around, but fortunately found no water in the room. :D
It uses some IRFPs, I don't remember exactly. Tubes are 12J5 and 12L6 in triode connection, directly coupled through a voltage shift (bi-polar B+ source) and have a global feedback including DC. Also, I used TV compactrons in such design, sound well. However, every tube needs own current to work with minimal distortions. Instead of IRFPs I used IXFKs, the same good result.

Nearly any active element may be used with good results, if used properly. ;)

tower.gif

medogrizli said:
Sorry but I can not find Nelson Pass AB class mosfet irfp mosfet schematics :

Can someone link this : I was trying "search" but nothing...

thanks very muck

AB class with vertical mosfets without thermo compensation? I doubt, unless you have an expensive cooling system. A+B? Easily! When a driver works in A class and supplies a current to the output when output source followers (in B or C class) don't.

ilimzn said:

Once again, look at the datasheet, in fact, the diagram posted above. The current is PER MOSFET, and is in fact about 15A (look at where 25C and 125C curves intersect).

WHY on earth would anyone consider producing 700W of heat as an acceptable way avoid using a simple Vgs multiplier??? But of course, what do I know - maybe you had some divine revelation why thermally compensating the bias current is 'bad'? You have now started several threads and in all of them we get back to what kind of temperature coefficient VMOS has, when it is clearly documented in the relevant datasheets. besides, Prof. Biljanovic is still alive and well, so you can ask him about this. He will probably tell you that ALL MOSFETs have a region of positive and a region of negative coefficient, the only question is what drain current gets you in what region. This is strongly dependant on channel geometry.

Finally, if you still don't believe what a multitude of us (some of which have used MOSFETs by the kg in many amps), you can always ignore what we are saying and make your hexfet amp with no bias compensation, and see for yourself. In the eman time, we might be looking to the horison for that plume of smoke :)

No no not at all for sure termaliy COMEPNSATION IS NOT BAD : I just wanted to discuss theoretically;)

medogrizli said:

No no not at all for sure termaliy COMEPNSATION IS NOT BAD : I just wanted to discuss theoretically;)

Practically, this amp has no thermal compensation, but its VAS draws a lot of idle current, and OpAmp needs to be very fast to push crossover distortions above the audible band. It is a 3-step approximation amp, and output FETs and BJTs that work in parallel must be selected such a way FETs provide full current on voltages below B-E break-down of output BJTs.

1'st step: driver supplies output (up to 0.2A), then 2'nd step: BJTs (up to 5A), then 3'rd step: FETs (up to 20A peak).

swinik-III.gif

bogdan_borko said:
ILIMZN , did you know there`s no transation for the (serbian\croatian) word "INAT"!

Actually, there is a pretty good translation, and it is 'spite'

medogrizli said:
No thats not INAT , but sorry for bothering I was just wondering if its that possible...

It is of course possible - pretty much everything is, but the question is, is it practical? You have to look at this with a bit of lateral thinking. It's not really about wether you can make a HEXFET amp without thermal compensation, but what kind of topology does not need thermal compensation.
You may also explore what MOSFET you would need to practically remove thermal compensation. One of the types is a lateral MOSFET, but, you also need to look at what other properties of the MOSFET will change.

thanks for translation, but spite is closer to "prkos"...

MEDOGRIZLI, sorry, I was nervous.
You are new in this forum, so when you want something to learn: FIRST search the previous threads, becouse a lot of new members, ask the same questions again and again and that could be iritating sometime...

Cheers brother!

Wavebourn said:

Why not? :D

I used IRF mosfets loaded by a BJT current sources, with a servo opamp, and powered it from a bipolar source. Nice single ended A class heater. :D
It scared me once, when a waterfall run on CD. I jumped and turned around, but fortunately found no water in the room. :D
It uses some IRFPs, I don't remember exactly. Tubes are 12J5 and 12L6 in triode connection, directly coupled through a voltage shift (bi-polar B+ source) and have a global feedback including DC. Also, I used TV compactrons in such design, sound well. However, every tube needs own current to work with minimal distortions. Instead of IRFPs I used IXFKs, the same good result.

Nearly any active element may be used with good results, if used properly. ;)

tower.gif

That's an interesting design. Pretty simple. Good PSRR too? The tube running off the common power supply rails? You might get some interest posted on the tube forum.

Sheldon

Hello All,

I am going the following route

1: 5 channels of active x over amps.

2: Half decent amp, preferably mosfet to save space in the chasis, and a fully comple design for the tweeters.

Recommendations please?
Anyone built MOSFET amps with IRFs with good sonic results?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.