• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2A3 SET Output Transformer opinions/recommendations

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

SRPP is just replacing the plate resistor with a triode, and it is still the bottom 1/2 6SL7 that drives the grid of the 2A3 (as I understand it.) and therefore suffers from the above problems to a lesser degree.

Ahem....That's not how it works at all.

For a better understanding of SRPP circuits and how to use them and what for here's a decent disection of the topology:

SRPP DECOMPOSED.

A cathode follower is a much better driver for a power triode, indeed the famous ongaku amplifiers use them in this way.

You'll find just as many people that'll go "yikes" just when they hear the words "cathode follower" mentioned.

It just goes to show that you need to understand what the tube used to requires to be driven correctly and choose your poison from there....

When was the last time I wrote "Horses for courses" ? :D

Never want to hear SRPP again, and it`s the same for Cathode folower

Driving some output tubes or splitters from a high Z plate isn't really a cure all either, is it?

Cheers,;)

Thanks all of you who replied.

I think I'm going to skip the Hammonds and jump to the Magnaquest or the ElectraPrint.
I already have an experimental 6MB8 HiFi with Hammond's in it. I think it sounds pretty good for what it is.
It's fun to play with it/swap components/tweak it...etc.......

http://www.flyballequip.com/pictures/6MB8front.jpg

I would love to get the Tamura's but at double the price I just can't justify it at this time.

If I know me.....what will probably happen in a year or so is that I'll upgrade to something like a 300B SET and sell the 2A3 to fund the new project.

Thanks

Mike
Langley B.C.

Plitron Toroid Single Ended Transformer

I am using the 3.5K Plitron's output transformer for my 300B amplifier. It's sounds damn good with good definations in both highs and lows. It's frequency response at the high end is extremely good that is an advantage for today's SACD or DVD audio listnenings.

Their web site is www.plitron.com

Johnny

Reviving this thread, since I'm now using SE 2a3 outputs. I've been using some small 5K OPTs which sound fine to me. I need another pair of OPTs for another amp, and looking for something small and not too expensive. Could be anything between 2.5K and 5K.

A smaller OPT could easily be gapped for 50mA which is OK. 60mA would be better. I'm in London UK so preference for European OPTs. I know there are some makers in Germany, Greece and Ukraine for instance, and maybe others too. Chinese or Asian is possible depending on shipping. USA tends to be expensive for shipping and handling charges to Europe.

Reviving this thread, since I'm now using SE 2a3 outputs. I've been using some small 5K OPTs which sound fine to me. I need another pair of OPTs for another amp, and looking for something small and not too expensive. Could be anything between 2.5K and 5K.

A smaller OPT could easily be gapped for 50mA which is OK. 60mA would be better. I'm in London UK so preference for European OPTs. I know there are some makers in Germany, Greece and Ukraine for instance, and maybe others too. Chinese or Asian is possible depending on shipping. USA tends to be expensive for shipping and handling charges to Europe.

Hi Andy

I have some surprisingly good yet cheap japan transformers. They have 1.7K and 3.5K primary into 4,8 and 16 ohm output.

These are not big (a pair is just over 1.2Kg). I got them some years ago in Japan. They are Tomiko.

PM me for more info. I originally got them for testing, etc... I have a few pairs of them. I finished a few in nice grey hammertone as well. I basically used them for breadboarding and prototypes.

Ian

Last edited:
Also, I used them with 3.5k primary with 2a3. They use Hitachi wire and Japan Z11 silicon steel. and can also be used for ultra-linear if you had an appropriate pentode.

I don't know what they are gapped for but they sounded pretty decent with 2a3 considering the size and cost.

These were quoted to me to be 10Watt, 15Watt max, 16 Henry (I was always skeptical of this value though).

I could sell you a pair (or two) if you are interested. and I could send you some pictures too of course.

Last edited: