• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• K75-12.jpg
    K75-12.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 304
I never pay too much attention to the part number when using these Russian PIO caps; I only noticed there are green ones and there are silver ones.

Are there any meaning to the part numbers ?? Are they similar caps ??

For by passing, I always go with the higher voltage ratings, almost like a conditional reflex.

Yes, of course the part numbers means something. On the other hand WHAT they mean is an entirely different matter. My best bet is to do a search in Tubes Asylum. The sellers on Ebay doesn't always know what they have.

In the mean time, get hold of a 0.033uF 1600V PIO Russian cap, to by pass your K75-10......I can even send you a pair if needed........:)....yes....let me know please....

In the mean time, get hold of a 0.033uF 1600V PIO Russian cap, to by pass your K75-10......I can even send you a pair if needed........:)....yes....let me know please....

Thank you for the offer. There sure are some nice people on this thread.

However I'm extremely sceptical of any forms of bypassing. All of my earlier efforts in that regard has been a total failure. I've tried different ratios as well (between 1/10 and 1/100).

Have you tried with a bigger K75-12 without any further bypassing? One should think that a K75-12 by itself would be the closest one would ever get to polyester Ampohms and Audio Notes.

And further: I have to admit that I've just ordered a couple of Audio Note copper foils to try out. They aren't that expensive on HifiCollective.

In my quest for finding the optimal output capacitors for my gyrator loaded 26 preamp, I've been trying out russian K75-10 capacitors. And by the way they are GREAT! FABULOUS! INCREDIBLE! I'm lost for superlatives. I've tried them before in other setups without giving them too much attention, but in the output of Ales gyrators they just click like nothing have clicked before. I don't know if it is the large voltage swings or the low impedance but they are truly excellent. I really wanted my expensive teflons and my paper oils to be better but they aren't even close. The K75-10 doesn't have the best bass or treble but the large engulfing 3-dimensional midrange and the musicality is up there with the best I've ever heard. For heaven sake try them if you are experiencing that you play just a few selected recordings all the time or you sometimes feel that your setup is a little bit sterile, flat, boring or cool sounding. Trust me on this one. Try them.

I made the suggestion to try using 0.033uF 1600V for by passing, only after I read your very strong recommendation using this Russian PIO cap.

In my system, I am using these caps all over the places, I use them in my speaker cross overer too, because their price/performance ration is the best. (only in one of my line amp, I am using a pair of Russian teflon cap, that one of my friend wants me to try.....)

As strongly as you recommend using K75-10, and as soon, you are already thinking of a new love.....an Audio Note cap !!!

That does make me do not how to feel about how strongly you feel about using your K75-10 !!!

My experience with Audio Note, directly or in directly, has been not so positive, so I will refrain from commenting further about that brand.

Please do tell us of your experiences with Audio Note. I think both AN and the rest of us can handle it. We mustn't loose the perspectives here. It's only hifi.

Anyway, I certainly haven't lost my "love", as you call it, for the K75-10. In fact I've just now soldered on two 2.2uF's in the output of my DIY NOS 1541a dac and I think they work very well. The musicality of my setup is very much intact. It's a pleasure to listen to classical music with the K75-10's. I've never heard Fischer-Dieskau's voice sounding so real, expressive and emotional before.

It will be an interesting experiment. Can a green russian beat a golden englishman?

I can't share the capacitor love on this thread. Found the green ones warm and lacking detail and the others mentioned audibly less clean and detailed than FT-3 and FT-2. I have a clear preference for teflon, and it's not subtle either. I could maybe live with the square brown silver micas or at a pinch polystyrene, but teflon is what's always done it for me in shootouts. I've tried lots of coupling caps with the exception of exotic PIOs.