• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

I'll guess that when you use a gyrator you don't really need or want a shunt regulator such as the SSHV2 before it (I have a few of those as well)?

No need at all. With good filtering the gyrator provides an additional 100dB attenuation at 100Hz. With a good ground layout and if the DHT is in good shape, then no hum at all. You can't get it better than that. My system is extremely quiet and DHT end to end. I can't hear any hum when listening even at very low levels or very close to the speaker

Frankly I don't see the point - you're paying more for less then with a gyrator. I have a few Lundahl interstages I no longer use. For the 01A you just need a 5mA gap. In fact, if the PP interstages from Lundahl and maybe others are gapped for 5mA anyway, they might also work.

Yes I know but if your system can't stand the gain then what other choice do you have if you like these tubes? I have a 4 way horn system that is over 100db efficient and several amps that can't handle that kind of gain. I like the tube between my source and amp to add what tubes do, especially since my 2 direct coupled 2A3 is collecting dust these days and I'm using a First Watt M2 that I built and love.

Jim

Do you need some kind of capacitor for isolation and stability between the SSHV2 and Ale's gyrator?

Not needed in most of the cases. If you're using a simple HT supply with no regulation, then it won't be required, however it doesn't harm leaving it in. I included it on my first circuits but then I removed it.
If you have a regulated PSU (even shunt) you may require a bypass as some designs doesn't like the high impedance presented by the MOSFET drain of the gyrator which makes them unstable.
When I test high-bandwidth stages (e.g. 4P1L with gyrator) with my bench power supply, I have to add a 30uF cap to bypass it to make it stable.

In most of the cases, this isn't needed.

Here's the 26 preamp I implemented:

http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/dht-pre-amplifier/26-dht-preamp-gen3-gyrator-version/

Cheers
Ale

Joined 2004
Paid Member
#26 grid current is -almost- immeasurable, so you can use even large grid leak resistor.
Although the usual use is line level input, large resistor's -almost thermal- noise is be considered.

For example 1MOhm resistor's thermal noise (20 Celsius grade, 20kHz bandwith) about 19uV (-95 dBV).

100k is optimal compromise.