• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Unfortunately, the OPT used in the schematic is not available, however possible substitute are assumed to be available, the following is catalogs for your references.
You can see the price list for Noguchi FM-20K600CT, FM24K-600CT and Andix Audio RT20K600

ttp://noguchi-trans.co.jp/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=40

ttp://www.andix.co.jp/

the noguchi 20K sounds good for the task , do you know a japanese seller with a international website for ordering? :confused:

Collective filament supply

Hi,
Some experimenting: Just modded my preamp.. Why? No clue, must be some kind of curiousness.. :D
The preamp I am using at the moment has both filaments in series, fed by one (Coleman) supply tied to ground. Valves are biased using a battery, thus using an input capacitor (see attached diagram). Sounds great!

A few weeks ago I had a chat discussing the possibility of putting both filaments in parallel and use filament bias for both valves with one resistor. (see attached diagram). Since we need now only half of the value filament bias resistor (twice the current), this might be the same as when using one battery to bias both valves. One thing left is possibility for crosstalk left to right channel and vv)..

Today I tested the preamp built this way and could not see any crosstalk on the scope with one valves' grid shorted to ground and the other with 5 Volt RMS signal on the grid.. Also no crosstalk when grid is not shorted to ground..

This works like a charm, sounds perfect and is dead-silent when not playing..

Thought I'd share this..

Attachments

• vv_26_0d3_hg3.gif
    vv_26_0d3_hg3.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 416
  • collective_filament_bias.gif
    collective_filament_bias.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 412
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rob,
My original 26 prototype (I am still using it) uses the same approach to filament heating (no ccs) - you will note due to filament polarity that the operating points of the two 26s will be slightly different. I use fixed bias and just adjust the bias pots to compensate. (I've used and like battery bias too)

Hi Kevinkr.

Yes, it does sound great.
I think you refer to using filaments in series? Correct?

In this preamp I stabilize the 26's using a 0C3 per channel, so approx 100 Volts on the plate and filament bias set for both channels with ONE resistor using ONE filament supply..
Only one drawback: If one filament breaks, the other one will go as well because of getting twice the current.. Maybe some strategically placed fuses will take away that..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually since they are in series if one filament breaks the string goes open and no current flows. Mine have been in series for 13yrs and I have not had a single filament failure. (Inrush current is limited to a couple of amps.)

Measure the plate current using the dcr across your chokes and you may note a slight difference in operating point due to filament polarity if the tubes were closely matched in the first place.