21" Active subwoofer project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tinitus said:
Omnes Audio have a nice digital eq/filter

That's pretty expensive for a box of relatively limited capabilities. It doesn't even seem to support a modern system using multiple subwoofers.

If it were 100USD, that Omnes box would look like a pretty good value. But it's nearly. Even though I know audio gear is generally more expensive in Europe, and not just because of the MwSt/VAT.

For instance, a Crown XTi-series pro amp will give you greater DSP functionality (twice the bands of parametric EQ, two shelf filters, and even subharmonic synth that's a nice throwback for those of us who used to run AudioControl Phase Coupled Activators in our home systems) along with a more modern USB interface (Apple hasn't had a computer with the silly plug on the back of that thing in more than a decade, I don't think), and at German prices the cheapest one is about twice the price of this processor. The user interface of Harman's HiQnet software is about as good as not-a-Mac software gets, too.

A Velodyne SMS-1 is more expensive, but has three sub outputs and a built-in measurement system that makes system setup go much more quickly than moving stuff or twiddling some control and then firing off a burst tone with FuzzMeasure on your MacBook, and then moving stuff again, and repeating. The SVS and JBL sub processor boxes are also more expensive, but incorporate pretty sophisticated auto-calibration/EQ software.

(FWIW, I use an SMS-1 for global EQ, though in truth I don't really need it with my multiple-sub setup except for the floor-ceiling mode, and a Crown XTi2000 to effect a sort of Linkwitz Transform on my primary subwoofer, a sealed Maelstrom-X. The two secondary subwoofers, both sealed Aura NS12-794-4A's, use plate amps with no native EQ.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.