20A power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eva said:
Pardon, internal up..what?, dsp spect... what?

The result of any digital processing is just a bitstream that is used to feed a DAC. This bitstream may even contain real-time configuration info for the DAC and should be transmitted out of the computer by means of SPDIF or any other digital audio bus with galvanic isolation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems to me you are a theorist with little exposure to the possibilites of integration in computer audio. SPDIF is useless when it comes to hirez ie 24/96 wav or aiff streams, or DVD-V audio. Most if not all decent digital outputs/inputs are galvanically isolated anyway.

All editing of software is done in computers and if you refine and listen, computer audio can be made respectable as entertainment or music while you work.

Digital audio editing interfaces are usually based in computers, however, the rest of the tasks like : audio data acquisition, audio data storage, audio data processing and mixing, audio playback, etc.. tend to be done in fully external computer-controlled hardware or in hybrid internal/external hardware, featuring propietary control buses, firewire, etc...

Look at Protools solutions for example, this ia standard in studio systems

However, doing everything with just a PC is a typical practice for amateurs, DJs and small home studios

Have you ever measured the power supply ripple, the electric/magnetic fields or the chasis ground/bus ground potentials seen by a PCI or ISA card?. It's just easier to place the DACs/ADCs outside the computer than to take rid of such an EMI hell

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As long as You stay in the digital domain I don't think thats a problem !

SW systems are the future. A/D and D/A is made best outside computers and galvanicly separated. One day we will hopefully have a usable fiber interconnection system !

/

Have you ever measured the power supply ripple, the electric/magnetic fields or the chasis ground/bus ground potentials seen by a PCI or ISA card?. It's just easier to place the DACs/ADCs outside the computer than to take rid of such an EMI hell [/B][/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes; that is why I am posting. Stand alone boxes also have poor grounds very often.

The important thing is to measure, listen, modify, improve; not postulate and predetermine issue.

Hello,

"PC = HQ-Audio" is like "X^2 = -1"

I guess you are not familiar with +-j (complex numbers) that will help you solve the second equation. The first is more difficult, and it seems that HQ audio in a PC requires external converters and other work-around solutions in order to work properly.

\Jens

JensRasmussen said:
Hello,

"PC = HQ-Audio" is like "X^2 = -1"

I guess you are not familiar with +-j (complex numbers) that will help you solve the second equation. The first is more difficult, and it seems that HQ audio in a PC requires external converters and other work-around solutions in order to work properly.

\Jens

Damn it, i never liked complex numbers...

Mike

fmak said:
Have you ever measured the power supply ripple, the electric/magnetic fields or the chasis ground/bus ground potentials seen by a PCI or ISA card?. It's just easier to place the DACs/ADCs outside the computer than to take rid of such an EMI hell
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes; that is why I am posting. Stand alone boxes also have poor grounds very often.

The important thing is to measure, listen, modify, improve; not postulate and predetermine issue. [/B][/QUOTE]

About 10 years ago I learned this the "hard way" -- if you are testing a piece of equipment -- not everything which says it is "isolated" really is. Further, even if you are powering your equipment from the same A.C. line there can be a ground loop if you are using two different receptacles into which you are plugging your equipment.

I find it amazing that a card can be as effective as some claim -- but there have been articles in "Test and Measurement" which support the use, and of course National Instruments has made an entire business out of it.

Yes, measure, listen, modify -- but check for ground loops first !

Ground Loops

I would have to agree with the few Posts that while it is possible to find audio (Quasi)nirvana in You Average CPU Box, Ground Loops Can Occur Everywhere, And They Costliest of cables ( For The Out Bound Connections to Amplified Speakers,Surrounds, 4.1,5.1,6.1 etc.) usually Compound The Problem (Low Inductance/High Capacitance). Interseting things can begin to occur as you isolate certain Grounds from others, after A whole lot of Years Of 12Volt (Car Audio Design ) Ground Loops are the Most Troublesome Causes of Flaky System Performance and Mask them Selves Very Well. Not much notable info there, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Oh, and Hello Everyone. BTW I LOVE Complex Numbers hehehehe

Bear

Hi!

Most of amateur HF tranmitter equipment use supply in this class. 20 amp 13.6V. You may kindly do a google on such supplies from Icom, Kenwood or Yeasu for their equipment. PS35 is one such unit. The schematics is also available on net.

You are most welccome, drop a line in case you dont find their schematics.

http://www.qrp4u.de/docs/en/powersupply/

This should also give some pointers.

Regards

Rahul

A little research should easily turn up a box that doesn't have ground problems. It would also be far easier and cheaper to 'measure, listen, modify, improve' thatan external box to your taste.

If an internal card is a prerequisite to your quest wouldn't it make more sense to lift pins, cut tracks etc. and make changes to the card itself. This has been done with great success by others.

Creating a 20A supply to generate a (hopefully) clean few milliamps is missing the point somewhat.

Just out of interest what card are you going to all this trouble for?

paddy said:
A little research should easily turn up a box that doesn't have ground problems. It would also be far easier and cheaper to 'measure, listen, modify, improve' thatan external box to your taste.

If an internal card is a prerequisite to your quest wouldn't it make more sense to lift pins, cut tracks etc. and make changes to the card itself. This has been done with great success by others.

Creating a 20A supply to generate a (hopefully) clean few milliamps is missing the point somewhat.

Just out of interest what card are you going to all this trouble for?

mille failte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.