2017 POLL: classic Passive or Active/DSP/EQ ?

On my main speakers...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Happy new year everyone :)

I'm curious to know where we stand in 2017 regarding Passive/Active configurations, and the reasons why.

POLL: multiple choices allowed, in case you have many speakers (home, office, etc..)

P.S. just a reminder: bi-amp doesnt count as ''active''.

Last edited:
how about - "since I can't make up my mind - or depending my mood, all on the same system" - and actually the poll categories doesn't specify DSP in the active - which I think most who've played with both would agree offers tremendous advantages over analog active

and it's "widebanders" to the cognoscente

geeze, aren't you glad you started this :D

Last edited:
Could have added the Passive + EQ option, but is it something people do often ?

All IMO, disclaimers ahoy!

Passive is good and simple and cheap for mid and HF crossovers, so is still what I'd use on a standard 2-way speaker using well-behaved drivers.

Active is better for 'fixing' some problems, adding delay, for steep or low crossovers and some eq options. For example, if I change my furniture and thus create a bump at 50Hz, I'd rather make a notch with a DSP and a few clicks, than spend much time and cash re-building a crossover that uses a 40kg mound of inductors.

...so my main system is a hybrid, a 3-way with 2 amps. Passive crossover for HF (between the cone and HF sections of a 15" coaxial). DSP for LF crossover & minimal eq.

My current experiment is also a hybrid. Drivers are a pro 15" / AMT / bullet tweeter, with differing sensitivities. Crossover is simple, textbook passive. The active bit is that I'm using computer equalisation to to replace the hours of tweaking and soldering that would be required in getting notch filters and attenuation set up.

At this point, I don't care if it might sound better to some jazz freak if I were to use hand-gilded-washi-in-yak-butter capacitors. I just want a quick way to get a flat FR, to see whether the driver configuration could work for me.

Hi,

HNY :)

FIR for the whole frequencies on a passive speaker and platted amp with DSP EQ for sub or bass dpt would be my choice.

(to avoid bad sounding DACs after devices like MINIDSP as far money is a concern)

While there is certainly no better way for most of diyers than choosing active and EQ for making from scratch a speaker and set it up ! :bawling:

DAC is very important and is too much underestimate in the speaker sounding result by some people imho. I believe it's an holistic approach : dac + speaker + amp and a little of tweaking and EQ + room tunning (passive).

so EQ, yes, in the digital domain before a very good DAC :)

cheers

Could have added the Passive + EQ option, but is it something people do often ?

I suspect it's something that will be tried more after people hear the JBL 7-series monitors!

...so my main system is a hybrid, a 3-way with 2 amps. Passive crossover for HF (between the cone and HF sections of a 15" coaxial). DSP for LF crossover & minimal eq.

IMO, based on currently available parts, such a "semi active 3-way" is the optimal approach for DIYers. Then a whole full-range speaker can be powered from one miniDSP or Hypex plate amp. Perhaps if 3-channel DSP plate amps become common and inexpensive that will change.

Well, "sounds better" wasn't the best option I had available. :)

I think it's impossible to universally state active crossovers and EQ's are better than passive. I assure you I can make pretty crappy versions. :) And many people dislike the DAC's if not the ADC's too in miniDSP units. I've also seen questions from DSP noobs that make me shudder....

Plus I think the questions are mixing crossovers and EQ.

One major hurdle is electronics complexity. Right now in my mains I have 2 capacitors in way of the tweeter. One coil in way of the woofer. To go fully active I must add tens of thousands, if not millions, of transistors to my system. I'll settle for passive mains and active sub thank you. :) However I do think about playing with digital domain EQ, but damn, my speakers are so close to ideal, it's not worthwhile. Now, the Seas coaxial bi-amped kit, EQ is a must! :)

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.