2014 bang for the buck DIY subwoofer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

But if I put only one subwoofer all this value was not good ?

Logically with one subwoofer I lost 3db I can make around 114dB with the same freq curve ?

thanks to ALL for your help :D

nicK

Hi Nick,

Your are correct, you will loose ~3 dB if you omit one driver: To restore the difference in FR you should double the amount of stuffing in the second of the Segments, i.e. from 77 to ~153.5 Rayl/m.

b:)

Last edited:
thanks GM for your tips !

If anybody can help me to calculate the best enclosure for ONE CSS DX12 subwoofer for best SPL in very low freq 15-60hz

You're welcome!

‘Best’ is a floating point along a driver’s performance curve, dependent on the size, etc., needs of the app and of course personal preference as to how it sounds, but you showed interest in the DTS-10 alignment, so………...

GM

Attachments

• CSS SDX12 15-60 Hz DTS specs.gif
    CSS SDX12 15-60 Hz DTS specs.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 192
  • CSS SDX12 15-60 Hz DTS.gif
    CSS SDX12 15-60 Hz DTS.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 179
  • CSS SDX12 15-60 Hz DTS_500 W_28 mm Xmax.gif
    CSS SDX12 15-60 Hz DTS_500 W_28 mm Xmax.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 169
  • CSS_SDX12_15Hz_D.txt
    956 bytes · Views: 29
Last edited:
Sorry but with unibox I don't have a good freq response 15-60hz !
at 15 hz I have around -20db drop compare to 60hz in all type of box.
IT'S A BAD SUBWOOFER CHOICE OR WHAT !? ;)

The only choice I think is Tapped horn but with the freq response diagram of GM sheet it's not a good sub in TH BOX too !

Don't forget in my case, I don't have a 15-25hz room gain because my theater room is very BIG with 14'Wx28'D.
The very low frequency is not good in the room but AMAZING in my bathroom or outside of my house hahaha ! :)

THANKS GUYS !

nicK

Last edited:
You’re welcome! I didn’t forget. ‘Big’ is relative, mine’s right at the same floor area, though much bigger acoustically due to being open to a dining room, hallway that drops the 1st axial mode to around 12 Hz, but still only considered average size in my locale.

Regardless, based on known DSL designs and numerous others, it will perform better than it sims, though how much more depends on how close you build it to specs and the room corner it ideally needs to sit in. Consider too that even if it measures ‘ruler flat’ it will still need EQ to be flat in room and sometimes requires more than when not ‘flat’.

Bottom line, one 12" driver going this low in a large room is totally inadequate for a HT capable of reproducing all of the LFE of some movies, much less at anywhere near THX reference, unless in a basement size FLH.

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.