2010 Ottawa DIY Audio Get Together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
John did bring a sampling of his "eBay treasures." These are nice chip amps.

Attachments

• DSC_0314.jpg
    DSC_0314.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0318.jpg
    DSC_0318.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0327.jpg
    DSC_0327.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 229
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Owen's front end

Computer transport feeding Behringer DCX2496, feeding ESS DAC, feeding his original take on the D1 I/V, feeding the BZLS.

Of course this is supported by an audiophile-approved table and *green* masking tape. Green tape sounds best :D.

Attachments

• DSC_0391.jpg
    DSC_0391.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 111
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Owen's I/V stage "beast", details of which may be found in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/154866-new-take-classic-pass-labs-d1-ess-dac.html.

In short this is a D1 I/V with 50V rails, 200/400 ohm resistors, 13 times the current, no buffers, no filter caps, and FQA32N20 devices - chosen for their high transconductance. Mated to the ESS DAC it measures great. Although we only listened to it briefly, I liked the sound.

The heat sinks are not overkill. They were hot to the touch :flame: !

Attachments

• DSC_0411.jpg
    DSC_0411.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hi Henkjan

The Edo de Waart, Jean Guillou version of Saint Saens Symphony number 3 on Philips Recordings has very low pitched tones. Some of the best stuff in on track 2.

Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 San Francisco Symphony Edo De Waart Philips 412 619-2

I review music to and have listened to at least three dozen versions. Most of them are anemic. Some of the version even sound a bit like a carnival organ. But bang for the buck the top three are the Philips with Guilloou, The Dorian with Guillou, Only for the last chord. If you hear it you will know what I mean.

And last bit not least Munch on living stereo.

Mark

It's long out of print.

So if you can't find it I can rip a copy for you. Kind of hard to break copyright rules for something no longer in print.

Mark

The Munch recording from living stereo I have on SACD, there was a rerelease of a lot of the LS catalog on SACD some 6 years ago:
1000004003137707.jpg

should still be available, at least it is from the online shop here I checked

I have another Edo de Waart recording, with our local Rotterdam orchestra:
1000004003056267.jpg

a google for the Philips recording does result in a lot of references to various audio forums where it is mentioned as a musical bass track...

Last edited:
First, I wanted to mention that I really enjoyed my time at the Ottawa DIY Audio get-together. Getting to spend most of the day there (I left for a couple of hours) was my Father’s Day getaway. I’m a newbie w.r.t. DIY audio, so I appreciated being welcomed. I saw & heard some interesting electronics and speakers, and learned a little bit, as well – and I’m sure I could have learned more from the knowledgeable participants, if only I knew what to ask.

I know that some of my impressions simply echo what’s already been posted, but they’re worth repeating. The highlights/notes/comments that I wanted to mention are:

- I enjoyed listening to Rick’s speakers, and the quality of his construction & finishing was impressive. On an unrelated matter, the group did critique & comment on my Zero 4 speakers (c/r post # 9 above), but I have to particularly thank Rick because he provided the most informative comments about re-foaming, what he would do in my situation, etc.

- In starting to read the DIY forums, I became intrigued by the Fostex-based “single driver” designs like Chili Chang, etc., and one of my hopes for this get-together was to hear what they might sound like. Although we didn’t have one of those to audition, I think that Adam’s center channel speaker (four CSS EL70, crossover-less) was a bit of a taste… so I am glad that we got a chance to hear it, and I do think I’ll have to include the EL70 on my project wish-list. However, I have to admit that I’m a bit disappointed (in retrospect) that I didn’t get to hear the little “Unhorn” sub that he brought – he explained the design to me & I think I’ve tracked down the “link” since then…interesting.

- When we talk about subs, we have to give respect to the monster that Mark brought to the party. I’ll admit that I was not able to arrive in time to help with set-up, and when I was looking at some of the builds, I noticed what I thought was a small stage, off to the side (c/r post # 15)… later I learned that this was not actually a stage, but the biggest subwoofer I’ve ever seen! Despite having probably the lowest WAF of any audio piece I’ve encountered personally, it also went deeper than any speaker I’ve ever heard, and with remarkably little power required!

- Pierre had the most complete system, and it was a very impressive package. Again, I’ve read a lot about the quality designs that Nelson Pass has made available, and I really appreciated the opportunity to actually hear them.

- Unfortunately, I didn’t get to hear much of Owen’s set-up, because I had to leave for a couple of hours. I do have to say that when I first saw some of his electronics (on display for photos), I was thinking that this was one of the cleanest-looking, best-finished units that I had ever seen, and I kept looking all over to try to locate the product name. I eventually realized that there was no name because it was DIY; definitely looked more audiophile-grade than some commercial products out there (c/r post # 39).

- I enjoyed talking to John about his chip-amp builds. I wondered if something like a chip-amp kit might be the sort of project I should undertake as a first attempt in electronics DIY, so it was definitely interesting to spend some time getting John’s perspective on these projects. He clearly knows a lot more than I do, and isn’t afraid to destroy parts in the interests of experimentation.

And a few final comments:

Pierre – Thank you very much for organizing our get-together, including the location, and, for posting the great follow-up report (and photos).

Owen – I tried to PM you a while ago & if you replied, my e-mail filter must have blocked you. You were good enough to offer a printed circuit board (seems to be marked PAVEL 343495) as a prize, and you said we (prize-winners) could contact you about it. Right now, I don’t know what else I need i.e. parts list &/or discussion thread, etc. Can you help me out? (fyi – I’m at suzaneurquhart at rogers.com) Thanks in advance.

And yes, I’m all for having another get-together.

- Ron

Up to how many want to do it I guess. Maybe if we twist Pierres arm he could get us in contact with the community center and one of us or a group of us could run the next one. Pierre did a great job on the last one and I'm guessing the organization has to be spread around a bit to make things fair.

But I'd be in if there was one.

Got some really neat line source designs that getting close to fruition.

Mark

And I am the $$$ behind one of those line sources. :D I was so impressed with Owens that i decided to do them, but with a major twist. we'll keep you updated with the new one, Mark and I were both thinking January, but, i wouldnt mind doing both dates!

im willing to pitch $10 for each day we do this, i mean, if everyone put $10 in, we could pretty much pay for the place and use the rest to go towards organizing the second day! if you can't afford 10, or don't want a second day, i think $5 wouldn't be too much to ask.

I'm not in charge of anything, just giving some suggestions.

Came across this thread while looking for groups who might be interested in having a table at the upcoming Mini-Maker Faire in Ottawa (artengine.ca/makerfaire), and wanted to post a little message to the thread. We used to have an audio working group here at Artengine and still do a lot of stuff with sound experimentation. If you are ever looking for a like minded group to support and share we are a great spot.

Will have to try and stay in the loop as to what the group is up to.

cheers,
Ryan Stec
Artistic Director
Artengine

OVRC Auction - DIY parts donations (H.H. Bloom)

The Ottawa Vintage Radio Club http:\\Ottawa Vintage Radio Club is holding its next auction on Sunday, Oct 28, 2012, starting at 1:00pm. Amongst the articles being auctioned are many DIY parts from Sound Master Studios, donated by Mr. Hy Bloom upon closing of his audio repair shop and sound studio after 50 years of business. As Mr. Bloom built over 30,000 mono amps, he had numerous unbuilt chassis in various sizes. Some are punched for Mr. Bloom's very popular amps, some are untouched, and some are in their original paper wrappers. There are many other items that will be of interest to the DIY builder and collector of vintage radio and audio.

The OVRC auction is held at the Canterbury Community Centre, 2185 Arch Street, Ottawa (near Walkey and St. Laurent South), starting at 1:00pm. All buyers must be paid-up members of OVRC. Anyone may join the club on the day of the auction by completing a registration form and paying a one year membership (currently $10.00). There is no buyer’s commission. Payment is by cash only for items purchased by new members.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.