20-20khz

I would say most speakers reproduce much less than that range, and so does most people's hearing and most music recordings as well. Perhaps for a speaker to be a good audiophile or PA speaker it should strive to reach 20k, but very few systems or recordings will have a decent response down to 20HZ.
That can be good for movies and such, but just like the top octave, the bottom (20-40Hz) is pretty pretty unimportant for most music. In my experience a HPF around 40Hz often sounds better because the information down there just contains crap that takes up headroom, and demands a well treated room to not be a total mess anyway. My subs are designed go down to 35Hz, which I think is perfect for most music.

My point is really that a lot of people tend to assign a lot of importance to those extreme ranges even though they are a very small part of the listening experience. You can make an really amazing sounding system that only covers 50-16k, and there are many bad systems that cover 20-20k.

I'm currently finalizing a three-way that starts from, -3.05 Db @ 13.75 hertz,(-0.14 Db @ 20.04 hertz ) up to appx 24 kilohertz, before climbing some fourteen Db past this 24K.... plus or minus Two Db. all the way along.
And yes, the enclosure sims out almost the exact dimensions of an American spec full size refrigerator, 1010 liters worth inside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

I do see a benefit in the top end sounding natural, meaning it reaches all the way up for us and is balanced.. however, not all of us hear up that high.
As a kid I was an oddball for being able to hear the 16kHz horizontal sweep frequency of CRT TV sets. It was like something out of "They Live", where your TV makes this incessant "EEEEEEEEEEE!!" yet everyone's oblivious. I guess the new equivalent would be feeling the microwave burn from handheld devices.

These days I'm scared to get my hearing checked. It's interesting to note some of the design choices people make, like deliberately (perhaps unknowingly) running a slightly harsher sound, so 'air' and 'details' past 13kHz-15kHz or so that might get missed get modulated down to a lower range.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of us live with a spouse and/or younger people, so it never hurts to cover those very high frequencies. Room gain and resonances affect sound below the Schröder frequency of a room, which is usually well above 100 Hz. Even if your speakers roll off at 50 Hz, you will still not be free from those effects. Once this accounted for with system tuning (can be done in various was, like room dampening, DSP etc), I feel 20 Hz does not make more trouble than 50 Hz.

My gigantic 1010 liter enclosure 1570 mm high, 640 mm wide, 1149 mm wide..Considering the height, I will measure an individuals "Ear height" & split the difference between standing and sitting on a couch....so as both positions have equal off-axis response. The outright oversized front baffle should be able to project mids without baffle-step issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

I do see a benefit in the top end sounding natural, meaning it reaches all the way up for us and is balanced.. however, not all of us hear up that high.
After 22 years in tactical comm I do not. The very high frequencies are nice to remember, but I can’t hear them. Which is interesting. My brain may add them in to a certain degree. I’m not sure. The bass however should go as low as possible and it should shake the room just like in the concert hall or church. Even though I can’t hear the bass I can feel it and that adds to the overall musical experience. I love the infrasonic rumble of a pipe organ or the BOOM of a Kansas City sized drum.

Reactions: 1 users