2 ways or 3 ways horn BMS coax or Raidian 950..etc..a newbie with too much questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Scott,

I admit that your recommendation suits hahayan's request in terms of spl, however I am not sure if it would be an accessible build for a beginner. Simply publishing the polar's, while it's admirable it's not enough for ensuring a critical listening system (again, he replaces maxx2). From what I know, those cone driver horns can reveal a whole can of worms, from high order modes, due to mismatch between various cone profiles and the dds horn, diffraction effects due to lack of optimization at the throat, etc. I guess you got my point by now. Although I have to admit, if I'd had the means I would definitively give it a try, because it seems such a fun system to build.

By the way, I remember considering 18Sound 15W500 myself at some point, not for a horn system, but as a direct radiator. Although it is not the most featured high sensitivity woofer from 18Sound (it lacks shorting rings, AIC, etc) I liked the seemingly flat frequency response and the clean impedance curve, free of resonances. It wouldn't be an easy load, even if it is a high sensitivity driver, due to the lack of copper in the motor and the rising impedance curve, but still, it appealed to me. Any other reasons you liked this woofer?

Ah, a caution!

Yes, I'd definitely agree with that, but frankly for a newbie I'd strongly caution against designing your own loudspeakers as a first attempt at all. :D (..in other words I think the caution is moot for hahayan, plus he seems to have a more realistic expectations of development time and necessarily the amount of effort it will require. He's going to wind-up spending a LOT of time reading over the manuals to LEAP 5 :eek: :D .)

The 15W500 has low mass vs. sd and high eff.. It also has a low energy storage and dissipation surround with good compliance at very low excursion potentials (once it's been "broken in"). (..closer to a paper surround in fact.) In conjunction with the recommended loading scheme (aperiodic large box) and T/S param's (i.e. relatively high Qts), it should provide very good depth. (..the same is true of the flat-damped surround of the PHL 10" mid.)

Last edited:
I'll check Basta! to see if it has a model for this. I can check impedance no problem.

In some form or another Akabak can, as can the BoxCad program with Soundeasy. The problem is accurately determining the amount (and "nature") of resistance the actual "vent" provides. Basically it's just a LOT easier to do this "empirically" (..build/test/build/test), and far more easy to go with a general rule and put up with net result. :eek: Cardboard boxes and tape can make for nice prototyping with the empirical method. ;)

thx guys...

nothing prefect, i think i can get a good compression drivers with the E JMLC horn ,however know..in the near future..i will not have those skill to optimize he drivers with those horn, as it need a lot of measuring skill, redesign the phase plug.., tweak the compression..etc..it is beyond my imagination at this stage, but i can live with it...

for the bass section, i think i need to come up a flexible testing fixture, which allow me to quickly build and test..build n test..for the volume, amount of filling an vent length etc..something i can slide the rear panel for volume adjustment.

i am not that crazy for wanting to design my own horn, with OB bass..,

as i am building a speaker with 4 bass driver per side with individual cabinets

what may be the best approach to ensure good outcome.., ? build one of them ,based on some sort of assumption and get it right , then multiplier by 4..an then fine tune it...

or make 4 prototypes cabinets, and tuning all 4 of them at the sametime?

oh..i never think of using a sub beyond 18"..hahaha

How did you figured that out, simply because of the construction of the surround or is it related to the value of the Qms?

In part it's the construction of the surround - there are more "pleats" and the material is "thinner". Then there is the upper end response that is less smooth - a classic sign of a surround providing less damping (..the PHL unit has this same behavior).

Qms relates almost solely to the effect of the spider, not the surround. The spider has little to do with the driver at very low excursion (beyond keeping the driver centered, blocking out-of-phase content from the rear, and damping the driver's diaphragm) . The loading of the driver itself (in box) is actually more relevant to the driver at very low excursion than the spider.

The fact that it is also a high Qms/Qts driver is a nice bonus with respect to its loading in-box.

i am not that crazy for wanting to design my own horn, with OB bass..,

Does this mean you are interested in Open Baffle bass? :confused:

IF it were me and I was forced to choose a mid-treble compression driver solution that has depth I'd do this:

1 Loudspeaker:

2 Bentwood Askew Horns 400hz Modified Iwata re-designed for 1.4" exit.
2 18 Sound ND 1480A drivers.

"Back-to-back operated out-of-phase" like a dipole.

The spider has little to do with the driver at very low excursion (beyond keeping the driver centered, blocking out-of-phase content from the rear, and damping the driver's diaphragm).

correction: The spider has little to do with the driver at very low excursion. (..the surround is designed to keep the driver centered, blocking out-of-phase content from the rear, damping the driver's diaphragm, and has more to do with the driver at very low excursion increasing resistance and lowering eff.).

..must have been the holiday "spirits". :eek:

1 Loudspeaker:

2 Bentwood Askew Horns 400hz Modified Iwata re-designed for 1.4" exit.
2 18 Sound ND 1480A drivers.

"Back-to-back operated out-of-phase" like a dipole.

Yess, this is the kind of system that I would build over an unity. The HF section above, would go great with an array of 4*12" high duty LF drivers (or 15"). Why the array? It would further shape the directivity in the low region (along with the dipole behavior), making for a controlled transition from the CD horn to the low frequency module. This kind of system would have everything needed in a large room: huge spl, ambient reflections, etc. Build it for low diffraction and constant directivity and it would be a real winner.

Also, XT1464 - Constant Coverage HF Horn should do well, back to back, in this application.

Last edited:
today..i play around those WIniso online and the Unibox for a 15N840 15" for ported

For WiniSD online - i get VB = 54.8L, FB = 48.19 hz
then i out those 2 data into Unibox: i get the following
Standard Design
Vb 64.1 L
Fb 45.91 hz
F3 51.08 -3db
Port min dia. ! 19.53 cm
Port length 10.20 cm

By VB..Fb ..

Physical Vb 54.8
Absorption, Qa 80 (USER input) (was at the spreadsheet already , a common data?)
Leakage, Ql 15 (on the sheet)
Port, Qp 80
Alpha, a 2.612
Vb 55.8
Fb 48.19
F3 36.98
Response peak 0.00
Peak at none
Port dia. not updated 9.65
Port length 10.96
Port 1. resonance 952

so how do i interpret first trial exercise?
let;s say i wanna cross with the horn at 700hz : the port resonance at 952 hz, so it is ok, port length and diameter seem reasonable to me

then i quickly notice..where and what i need to get further learning..

any quick advice for me? and the box size seem so small..

also from BMS, they recommend those
70L / 42 Hz, BRD = 180 mm / 476 mm long
85L / 35 Hz, BRD = 180 mm / 590 mm long

seem big different to above, and what is "BRD"

Last edited:
Consider reading a good book about the matter (you know its good if it is long, difficult and has lots of math). Alot of the things said in forums are opinions and its impossible to know which is the right advice as a newbie. Can save you alot of money. For authors, check Toole and Geddes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.