• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2 Stage GM-70 amp in A2... possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never said it was not possible. I only said that it was pointless, because you can simply give it more voltage in A1.

You can try a D3A -> MOSFET -> GM70, but it may or may not work.

Why are you so obsessed with A2? To get worse sound quality while gaining nothing?

Last edited:
"Was wondering if a 2 stage amplifier would be able to achieve A2."

What input sensitivity are you aiming for? If you have a preamp capable of ten volts output, maybe; otherwise probably not. But you need to start by defining how much voltage you need to drive the GM70 into A2 and then work backwards to the input. In other words if you need 150VRMS drive (to pick a random number!), how will you get from your input voltage (that you haven't defined) to 150VRMS in one stage?

It's very difficult. To me it's almost impossible. Driving GM70 to A2 requires low impedance driver that can make 300Vpp. From my experience, tubes with Rp > 1.5K cannot push power tube's grid positive. I once tried E810F/7788 and found it's having hard time to push 211 to A2. GM70 is even more difficult, you can see the picture.

yes, possible
regards

gm70 a2 amp.JPG

Here is a 2 stage GM70 amplifier that I think is a wonderful design by Greenvalve. I have asked him to elaborate on it but unfortunately he currently isn't able to spend much time discussing it. This amp exemplifies what I think the future of audio needs to start looking like. That is, using every modern technology and technique to get the best sound. We need to stop holding onto tradition for the sake of tradition and start looking at using the best design for the job. If I were to try to undertake such an amp the only thing I might do different would be a powerdrive, ala tubelab, instead of a choke; using a power jfet. Hope it helps you out.

Greenvalves - The Maxium GM70

Here is a 2 stage GM70 amplifier that I think is a wonderful design by Greenvalve. I have asked him to elaborate on it but unfortunately he currently isn't able to spend much time discussing it. This amp exemplifies what I think the future of audio needs to start looking like. That is, using every modern technology and technique to get the best sound. We need to stop holding onto tradition for the sake of tradition and start looking at using the best design for the job. If I were to try to undertake such an amp the only thing I might do different would be a powerdrive, ala tubelab, instead of a choke; using a power jfet. Hope it helps you out.

Greenvalves - The Maxium GM70

With that amount of SMPS i hope they´re high quality.

If not top notch and properly implemented HF noise and transmitting tubes can end up as a gigant oscillator.

That´s perhaps the main reason for using non effiecent EI-core transformers, their good rejection and bad coupling of HF noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.