2 inch audio pot with DC Switch?? Do they exist???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone!

I'm converting an old '70s table radio into a bluetooth radio, and I want to keep volume switch with on/off functionality (you know what I mean, turn the volume knob all the way to the left, it clicks and shuts down the radio). However the amp and bluetooth module I'm using are both DC, not AC like the original radio, so I can't use the potentiometer currently in the radio because its only rated for 125V AC and 3amps (right? I can't just assume that it would be OK to run DC through this switch if it only mentions AC? I don't imagine I would pull more than 1amp). I need a pot with a 2 inch shaft with a DC switch, and I cannot find one ANYWHERE! Do any of you know where I can find one? It's kind of blowing my mind how hard it is to find a 2 inch shafted pot with a DC switch, I would think this would be much more common than it is. It would preferably be knurled, but I could probably figure out a way to get the knobs to work on a non-knurled shaft.

Or, could I use the pot currently in the radio? Anyone think it's safe to run 12v DC with about an amp through a switch rated for 125v AC and 3 Amps?

I know some of these relays have contacts able to reliably switch 30 A.
All you need is to power it's coil from the existing potentiometer swich with some available dc and care about how much current the coil will draw.
To make it, high tech, add a diode // on the coil, that is to supress the spike at cut off witch is not so good for the pot's switch.

Please find about the DC source you want to switch on/ off.
What voltage power amperage ?
I assume 30A is far enough and voltage not much more than 12V.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.