2.5-way crossover design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AdamThorne said:
On the topic of 2.5 cross design, but off of the current project...

Can you make a series .5 cross design? For example if you have two 4 ohm drivers? I was thinking you might just bypass one driver with a cap, but then I wondered if that would screw up the rest of the setup.

Just wondering.

Hi,

It is possible but I've never seen it. Unlike the parallel arrangement
it will not implement BSC. Response remains flat and the impedance
drops to half. Consequently the 0.5 frequency does not need to be
set in relation to baffle width. It will stop lobing between the drivers
and you will still need BSC, so overall the impedance would likely
remain 8 ohms and you can choose any amount of BSC you like.
(Unlike parallel BSC which is 6dB correction by default.)

:)/sreten.

sreten said:

Hi,

Well actually it is not my opinion, check out the test of
the MW166 at zaphaudio.com , its not great at $107.

I do not know of any independant test of the $80 MDT32S,
the known / tested benchmarks for DIY softdome tweeters
are the $40 Seas 27TDFC / and $80 Peerless 810921.

I have read Zaph Audio article regarding midwoofer comparision but I already have purchased the first pair of speakers.

I respect Zaph and I believe he's a true autority (I've built one of his bookshelf speakers). Sure his considerations are not happy to read... but other folks claim they are pretty good midwoofers.

Anyway
thanks for your suggestions

sreten said:
Hi,

Fair enough but you may have misunderstood.
MW166 as the 0.5 way driver + something else, like the XT/XG18 ....
was what I meant by different drivers ....

Oh... now it's ok! ROGER!
I'd prefer using equal driver configuration due to the first shared inductor, that's why.

Anyway, it seems the only software tool capable of managing 2.5 way crossover networks is lspCAD, can you confirm?

thanks ;)

Yeah I use Speaker Workshop for this all the time. The FRD Consortium Passive crossover calculator spread sheet can also do so, though I find it a "less good" program. I often use it for calculations and its easier ability to calculate phase and impedance plots on the fly, but otherwise put little merit in the program. I would recomend Speaker Workshop as a fairly capable program, being free and all.

Hey,
finally I discovered LoudSpeaker LAB having a wizard which automatically calculates 2.5 way networks according to specified sizes of baffle: Good for me!

Here's attached a preliminary graph set, what you think about it?
Please share your opinions....

thanks
GM

Attachments

• summed-response.gif
    summed-response.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 409
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.