2"-3" fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is at complete odds with my experiences with TC9 (and TG9). IMO it's a truly brilliant driver, especially for the money, with good dynamic range and very clean, clear mids. My only complaint is simply that as a 3.5" wide driver it suffers at the top-end off-axis.

+1

I like the TC9 and TG9. The TG9 has just a bit more life in it - like the the 10F, it must be a fiberglass thing....

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nobody tried Visaton B80?

Many drivers have been tested and compared here, in case you have not see these threads. B80 was in round - a very nice driver.

Round 1:
Vifa TC9FD (3.5in paper cone 8 ohm)
- Faital Pro 3FE22 (3in paper cone 16 ohm)
- Dayton Audio RS100-4 (3.5in aluminum cone 4 ohm)
- Dayton Audio RS100P-4 (3.5inpaper cone 4 ohm)
- Dayton Audio PS95-8 (3in paper cone 8 ohm)
- MA CHN-70 (4in paper cone 8 ohm)
- PRV 5MR450NDY (5in 'midrange' pro audio paper cone 8 ohm)

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in Full Range Drivers

Round 2:
1. Vifa TG9FD10-8 (fiberglass cone)
2. Tang Band W4-1320SB (paper cone)
3. Peerless P830986 (aluminum cone)
4. Fostex FF105WK (paper cone)
5. ScanSpeak 10F/8424G00 (fiberglass cone)
6. Mark Audio Alpair A7.3 (silver cone) (aluminum cone)
7. AHE 3in (from Taiwan) (paper cone)

☆★全新【AHE 8P00A發燒級3吋三吋全音域單體】極為優異的音質表現~Fostex TB 可參考★☆(21206258966085)|露天拍賣|台灣NO.1 拍賣網站
A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in drivers - Round 2

Round 3:
1. SB Accoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5in aluminum cone Nd magnet
2. Peerless P830983 2in aluminum cone Nd magnet
3. Tang Band W3-1364SA 3in bamboo cone Nd magnet
4. GR Research LGK 3in paper cone ferrite magnet
5. Mark Audio Alpair A7P 4in paper cone ferrite magnet
6. Visaton B80 3.5in paper cone Nd magnet
7. Visaton FRS5X 8ohm 2in paper cone ferrite magnet
8. Mark Audio Alpair A7.3 aluminum cone ferrite magnet (previously tested in Round 2)

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

Round 4:
- Vifa TC9FD18-08 (3.5in paper cone ferrite magnet 8 ohms)
- ScanSpeak 10F/8424G00 (3.5in fiberglass cone Nd magnet 8 ohms)
- Visaton B80 8 ohm (3.5in paper cone Nd magnet 8 ohms)
- Vifa TG9FD10-08 (3.5in fiberglass cone ferrite magnet 8 ohm version) to allow a fiberglass cone per user requests
- secret driver

Round 5:
1. Tectonic Elements TEBM46C20N-4B BMR 3in (4 ohm Nd magnet paper cone)
2. Alpine OEM p/n 68223392AA 3.5in full range for Jeep Wrangler (4 ohm Nd magnet poly carbon cone with aluminum dustcap)
3. Fountek FR88EX 3.5in (8 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)
4. Vifa TC7FD00-04 2.5in (4 ohm ferrite magnet paper cone)
5. Tymphany NE65W-04 2.0 in (4 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)
6. Tang Band W2-852SH 2.0 in (4 ohm Nd magnet paper cone)
7. (center position) Fountek FR58EX 2.0in (8 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

You can see the TC9FD did quite well against many much more expensive drivers.

FWIW, my favorite is probably the TG9FD, PS95-8 and FR88EX. I use the SS 10F daily, but seem to recall some nice music from the above.

A lifeless driver. Not able to reproduce the small details that make a hifi sound lifelike (ie poor DDR). A driver designed to hide the ugly bits often present in TV programming, damn good at that. Will reproduce down (as in dB down from the loud stuff and below that mushes everything into an undistinguiable mess.

dave

Year a irritating little unit in out of box smoother and cheaper than most plus in documented builds or tests it also run most over.

Xrk, thanks.
For us living outside the US, sometimes the choice of drivers is more limited. For example, I can more easily obtain Visaton than other brands. That fact alone makes me lean toward it, even though it may neither be the best nor the cheapest. So I am happy that Visaton B80 makes it on the list. There are cheaper variants, like Visaton FRS8. I have never seen it tested...

The Tang Band w3-1285 is a class of its own. Very nice driver. Also the w3-1364 bamboo paper cone.

I have to agree regarding the W3 1285sg. A wonderful sounding 3" when driven within its limits (more of a midtweeter with 0.5mm xmax) but capable at lower volumes in generating some reasonable bass (I. E could integrate with a sub to make a 2.1 system for near field use with enough volume to satisfy most users.

It simply eclipses the Alpair 5 grey I compare it to.

The W3 800sl is also a very nice 2" wide range tweeter.

Still the PE offerings including the TC9 etc are better value if you can buy from USA. For this reason tang band and Visaton represent best value obtainable, for me.

This does look like a nice driver. The prices is excellent. The treble dispersion looks pretty good too.

The A5.2 looks interesting, only there's no data sheet on the Markaudio website that I can find ?? and even if I could, there'd be no off-axis data. Besides, who's selling it these days, I couldn't find it or pricing ? I really like that it has no-spyder, this is a departure from the norm worth investigating.

Last edited:
IIRC you have a gen 1 that hasn't been available for years. The A5.2 is relatively new and miles better then the old one.

dave

Yes that is correct.

While I'm sure there have been many improvements, from published data at least (ignoring subjective listening impressions of drivers I haven't heard), I am not a fan of the MA house curve employed in some of the newer drivers.

The A5P may well be the best option. However,personally I'd rather pick a flat looking FR plot if I'm to rely on published data only.

If only it was standard practice to publish THD data....then the waters would be considerably less muddy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.