2 18 bass design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Neo Dan,

I like the solution for the undersized speaker coupling chamber (plenum), neat!

Generally speaking I think djk's method of having the magnet of one driver line up with the cone of the other driver. It puts the drivers in a more proper position for distortion cancellation, and makes it possible to reduce the volume of the plenum, which in turn should reduce the upper peaking.

Regards,

Attachments

• PPSL_rect_v_tri_plenum_ACAD.pdf
    6.4 KB · Views: 187
Jmmlc and DMcB both seem to think the lowered tuning effect is correct, something about the horns & or ports couple and magic happens :D:D:D

So anyway...
djkvbox.png

"So if I make it parallel ,do I load drivers from front or back? "

I phrased my question wrong djk ,I meant having the drivers facing into the chamber or out,since they might be separated .Anyways ,are yours designed for 15" or 18" ?

"something about the horns & or ports couple and magic happens"

I want to agree with this though ,that's why in my sketch I tried combining them,simply two bass reflex at an angle to each other .That's all,didn't have much "manifold" in mind.I'm very curious now though..:boggled:

"simply two bass reflex at an angle to each other"

View attachment 210086 This might be somewhat similar but I dont like the drivers facing each other .

There is more to it than they are aware of. There is an element of horn/mass loading that is very helpful. There appear to be not very many who know how to use Hornresp or Akabak to design them.

I understand what you want and other than the original size 36"x28"x24" needing to change somewhat to allow the chamber to be one volume it can be done. I want to investigate/optimize the chamber, bracing, and ports more before I finalize the design.

Where do you normally cross from sub to tops?
Will you be using four boxes placed together, always? This affects tuning of the boxes and I have to compensate in the design.

The cluster of four boxes will be good with an amp in the 4-6KW range. With the 21mm Xlim even a big PL380 would be a good match if clip limiters were used. Basically I'm saying get as big an amp as you can!

Neo Dan ,I will be using just 2 at times, depending on crowd and location (sometimes indoor).

The crossover is kinda tricky for me to explain,I run it 4-way mono for now.The tops I use are 3-way using the 15s for low-voice/mid-bass ,two atlas midrange comp. drivers ,and 2 selenium 220ti for hights.
The xover on the bass is usually around 50 -55 hz but eq up on 40hz don't know why but it sounds best.That's also where I get the low-mids out of the 15s .Can't remember the rest of the settings.:sorry:
Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.