1st speaker build - BIB with ____ FR speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh man, I hate to disappoint but this is probably the second or third thing I've ever built with wood - I'm going more for sound quality than aesthetics here hahaha.

I'm excited to be at a stage where taking pictures is worthwhile though! My clamps are too short and not numerous enough...and the store is closed on Sundays. SOON!

Cam

Ok, UPDATE!
I finished the "first iteration" of these guys last night and wow, I am VERY impressed. I'm a pretty poor woodworker at this stage of the game, and I was concerned that my not-so-square cabinets might sound the same way they look...not the case.

IMG00007-20101003-1124.jpg

So, still to-do:
-Rout & mount front baffle/stiffener (Drivers are mounted on single-ply "front" currently)
-Make a proper base/three-leg stand
-Stuff them (currently completely empty)
-Add a helper tweeter?

Despite all that, they sound amazing to my ears. I thought without stuffing they might be overly boomy or fatiguing, but so far they just sound sweet. I've got a bunch of old pillows I can cannibalize for some stuffing material though, so I'll probably add some in the next day or so to compare.

As for the tweeter, I saw reference to a PE tweeter that is since discontinued, and this one which is still in stock: Dayton ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter | Parts-Express.com

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap and synergistic tweeter to pair with these drivers/enclosures? And what, a 2uF capacitor in series and that's all?

Also, I'm very pleasantly surprised with how well my little T-amp is doing powering these - definitely not "party speakers" by any means, but they've got more than enough steam for any critical listening/movies/background music in my purposes.

Thanks everyone, I'm nearing a pretty happy conclusion with these, and I don't doubt they're the first of many speakers I will build.
Cam

Huh! Thought I posted a reply, but poof!

So, excuse me if this's a double.

I was saying ....

I think this is meant to be a tweeter-less design. The single full ranger to do all the work. Was there something I missed in the thread -- a special reason for wanting to add a tweeter?

I was also saying a big CONGRATS for diving in. By your report, you're already being amp-ly (heh heh) rewarded for your courageous leap into speaker building.

What's the next project? Oh, and don't worry -- it's obvious you now have the bug. It's futile to resist.

And if you're experience is anything like mine, there will be (not necessarily) well intended friends and family to encourage you. The second you say "next speakers", they get that Pavlov's dog look.

My first speakers made a nice house warming present for my brother.

-Brenton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.