1KW SMPS help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eva said:
The opto-coupler must be operated in its linear region. Furthermore, it must be biased in such a way that the full duty cycle range is obtained without saturation or cutoff. Otherwise the PSU will oscillate or the control circuit won't be able to limit output voltage.

Hi Eva, nice to hear from you.

OK, running in linear mode makes sense - and I'll try that in simulation. It's got to be a bit tricky to run linear, though because of the rotten tolerance on current transfrer ratio. For example, the CNY17-1 has transfer of 0.4 < CTR < 0.8. Some of the other versions have higher transfer ratios. It's really easy to make these devices into switches, but running linear can't be easy. Say I buy a bit lot of them, who's to say what CTR I get? Does every circuit built have to be manually adjusted? They can't be run with feedback because of the isolation barrier, but maybe another method is to run 2 optos, making a nice feedback loop. Is anyone doing such a thing? If not, can you point me to some examples?

gene

If using op-amps in the feedback loop, will those op-amps need to be special, low-offset, low-drift devices?
( or some of those zero-offset, chopper-stabilized parts?)

Will an op-amp whose offset voltage drifts around, cause inaccuracies in regulation, or is DC input drift inherently cancelled by the feedback loop?

funberry said:
If using op-amps in the feedback loop, will those op-amps need to be special, low-offset, low-drift devices?
( or some of those zero-offset, chopper-stabilized parts?)

Will an op-amp whose offset voltage drifts around, cause inaccuracies in regulation, or is DC input drift inherently cancelled by the feedback loop?
IMHO typically not an issue, almost any sort of opamp has good enough offset specs compared to all other variables in circuit. IE your voltage reference might be 5% tolerance and so on, whereas some 5mV offset voltage is neglible to 5% tolerance of reference.

Case is different if you require 0.01% output accuracy over time and temp, but such is rarely needed from power supplies.

Danko:

This arrengement is not directly useable with UCC2808 because its error amp has its non-inverting input internally tied to a 2V reference thus it only has the inverting input available.

Anyway, the dataseet shows the correct phototransistor arrangement, look how the H11A1 optocoupler is connected. It pulls up the inverting input instead of pulling down the non-inverting one, and those two 4.99K resistors ensure unity gain while the 432 ohm resistor ensures proper phototransistor biasing (it seems quite low a value, though).

The photodiode section is directly useable, though. My arrengement shows just how to use a discrete error-amp when a TL431 is not practical due to too high voltages (altough a TL431 would provide better performance).

nazcalito said:
hi alabpro --

I'm not quite clear on how to read the specs on your power supplies. the project I have is a 6 channel amp, 4 300W channels and 2 60W channels all into 8 ohm speakers. If I just add up the watts it looks like the 2400 model is the right one, but is this correct?

The 300W channels run at 60V but the 60W channels run at about half that.
hi nazcalito
in 300w at supply 60-0-60,you can volt peak +/-60vp or vrms=42.4v and you can power max at 8 ohm= 224 Wrms ( no lost in power amp)but class AB lost 35-40% or class d lost 10-20% and you have power in class AB at supply 60-0-60 V =134-145 w at 8 ohm or power in class D =175-201 w at 8 ohm
alab-pro.com

Eva,

Sorry to have taken so long to analyze this thing - and I am still at it - but, between work and my kids it is hard to find the time. OK, so much for digressing . . .

more feedback questions:

Your circuit compares the output (Vo) with a threshold (Vt) voltage. When the Vo > Vt, the circuit is on, and current flows through the Opto LED, and the current linearly increases with Vo. For Vo < Vt, the circuit is off and no current flows in the LED.

Assuming the pwm operates with maximum duty cycle for Verr is at its max - then when Vo < Vt the pwm runs at maximum duty cycle. When Vo > Vt, the duty cycle drops as Vo increases. Correct so far?

If so, then there is a design issue at that transition (at Vo = Vt). Wouldn't the desired operation see the pwm to go from max duty cycle to min duty cycle smoothly? So, the circuit needs to accomodate that.

any thoughts? I am on the right track?

Oh, one other thing. This circuit keeps the pwm running at max when Vo < Vt. That keeps the minimum voltage Vo, at Vt - hopefully. The top range of Vo is set by the transformer turns ratio. But say the design calls for Vo max to be less than the absolute max set by the turns ratio. Then, I believe, the feedback circuit needs to be designed such that the pwm goes to 0% duty cycle for Vo > Vmax desired. Seems correct to me - but am looking for the nod from you smps gurus :D

gene

telewatt said:
alabpro:

I'm looking at these SMPS:

alab pro SMPS

But I don't see any prices on this website.
Are these items for sale?
If so, where are the prices?
Does anyone think a potential customer could even remotely consider a product without knowing the price?
hi telewatt.
thank you interested in SMPS,pls. wait prices on website.I wait code for credit card form Thai epay.i think easy to pay. and i think 2-3 day

funberry said:
Hi alabpro

I like the idea of an SMPS for Audio amps, and although I was going to build my own, I'm willing to entertain the idea of picking up one of yours and saving me some time.
However the size of your 4200W SMPS power transformer worries me. I'm estimating its size based on nearby components such as DIP IC's, and it definitely does not appear to me that this transformer has the cross sectional core area of a 4200W.
I have been looking for ferrite cores for a while for my own application, and I've seen a lot of cores lately in every power range, and this looks more like a 1000W core.

So my question:

If I take your 80-0-80 Volt / 26 Amp SMPS, and put a resistive dummy load of 3.1 Ohms accross EACH of the outputs, (so I'm pulling 160V at 26A), mow much will the output voltage sag?, and how long can I draw this current for?

SMPS are specified by how much power they can supply continuously, I hope we understand each other here.

Cheers
Adrian
the Ps-4200(this smsp desing for power amp no dc inverter welder ) I test by power amp in put 1kHz 33ms on and 66ms off continuous > 120 minute at 2 ohm/ch . No DC volt test

alabpro said:

çéHI EV
-Output inductors = 6uH*3 and switching I test from Power amp Output power =64.8V AT 2OHM/CH AND TEST 33msON AND 66ms off full load
- The number of power devices =HGHT30N60C3D IGBT 63A600V FOR 4200W AND transformer size FOR 2400W=E55/28/21 OR ETD49
FOR 3600W=E55/28/25 OR ETD54
FOR 4200W =ETD54 AND UP 6500W=ETD59
-heatsink size yes very small but I use pan for cooling
and pls. check http://www.camcoaudio.com/pdf/tecton_p-partnertest.pdf he can made
-and PFC I use EE55 For PFC and ETD59 For swittching
EDIT
HI EVA
-Output inductors = 6uH*3 and switching I test from Power amp Output power =64.8V AT 2OHM/CH AND TEST 33msON AND 66ms off full load
- The number of power devices =HGHT30N60C3D IGBT 63A600V FOR 4200W
- AND transformer size FOR 2400W=E55/28/21 OR ETD49
-FOR 3600W=E55/28/25 OR ETD54
-FOR 4200W =ETD54 AND UP 6500W=ETD59
-heatsink size yes very small but I use fan for cooling
and pls. check http://www.camcoaudio.com/pdf/tecton_p-partnertest.pdf he can made
-and PFC I use EE55 For PFC and ETD59 For swittching

hi telewatt
thank you interested in SMPS,pls. wait prices on website.I wait code for credit card form Thai epay.i think easy to pay. and i think 2-3 day

Than you for response. I will check back in 2-3 days.

At first I thought "Why diagonal heatsink?"

Then I realize, that you can orient a fan on x axis or Y-axis and still get 45 degree airflow into the heat sink.

If heat sink aligned straight, then you are forced to orient fan only one way.

All heatsinks should be diagonal!

64.8V AT 2OHM/CH AND TEST 33msON AND 66ms off full load

Well, a class B or AB amplifier with +-64.8V rails driving a 2 ohm resistive load produces no more than 1000Wrms before clipping. Two channels would add up to 2000Wrms. Assuming 70% effiency, total average power consumption would be approx 2850W.

Finally, these 2850W drawn during 33ms of each 99ms interval yield a total average power consumption of 950W, and this is the actual continuous power rating of that power supply, despite the fact that it could provide 4000W transients. This is more than enough for audio signals, though.

Eva said:

Well, a class B or AB amplifier with +-64.8V rails driving a 2 ohm resistive load produces no more than 1000Wrms before clipping. Two channels would add up to 2000Wrms. Assuming 70% effiency, total average power consumption would be approx 2850W.

Finally, these 2850W drawn during 33ms of each 99ms interval yield a total average power consumption of 950W, and this is the actual continuous power rating of that power supply, despite the fact that it could provide 4000W transients. This is more than enough for audio signals, though.
thank EVA
but the Power ( E*E/R )= (64.8*64.8)/2 = 2099 Watt/ch
if 2 ch =2099*2= 4198 watt

richwalters said:
Hi there..........thought about the situation if the fans fails ??
A well designed power supply requires every worst case scenario for consideration. With your small heatsink some overheat sensor is imperative for reducing the duty cycle or shut down.

richj
thank.
the smps 3 temp senser
- transformer temp
- rec. temp
- IGBT temp
over heat and shut down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.