18mm Baltic Birch vs 15mm Baltic Birch for speakers - stiffness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rob - if you're satisfied that your revised layout works, I'm fine.

As I currently have access to facilities in a commercial millwork shop, I tend to use production equipment and approaches whenever possible, and have my own pattern for CNC routing on 4x8 sheet, which yields panels for 2 pairs of horns and several of the top and bottom pieces. I usually run these in batches of at least 4pr at a time, which takes 3 sheets.

Also it should be noted that I machine 5mm deep dadoes on both sides for all external panels, and on one side for the back and internal fold panel. This makes for a very easy to assemble kit, but adds to the width of those panels - i.e. either 5 or 10mm. The beam saw is faster to cut all the rectangular parts, and slider for the 5dg angles on all but 2 ends of the 7 lateral panels.

It's also worth looking at cutting a 5 dg scarfe joint on the bottom edge of back panel were it joins the internal fold panel, and adding a thin glue block wedge for the tip of that joint. Adds a lot of glue surface area, and ensures an air tight joint.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.