150w or 200w PSU for Dayton KABD-430

Hi,

I want to assemble a small active 3 way speaker design and I will be using the Dayton Audio KABD-430 amp. which has an integrated ADAU1701 DSP.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-KABD-430-4-x-30W-Bluetooth-Amp-Board-with-DSP-325-430

The idea is 2x 30W (tweeter and mids) + 1x 60W (woofer). I know it's not much, but these will be used in a small room with 4+ subwoofers.

The thing is that I need a power supply for the 120W of total power. Is it OK If I go with a 150W SMPS? Or it's recommended to go with 200W?
I am thinking in the LRS line from Meanwell.

Amp + DSP will be in a separate compartment from the SMPS.

Looking forward to your replies.

Do not take this board, it is to weak even for low level audio. The 30W output come with 10% distortion, 60W is not realistic, only if you accept tons of distortion and use a speaker with 2 Ohm..
For a few $ more you get the Dayton Audio KABD-4100 with 4x100W which wil deliver what you expect.
A 150watt SMPS should be enough, if you do not play very loud or plan to extend the bass with the DSP.
For normal music you need much less input from the power supply than the speaker will see as "program power". Constant 200W form the PS may be enough for 500W of program power.
So if a 4x100W amp is in reality only a 4x50W RMS amp and you play musik, not sine waves, you should be fine with a good 150W SMPS.

On the other hand, with cheap SMPS comes the China factor: The 250W unit may only be able to deliver such power for half a second, constant power will be much lower. This miraculously works together: The 400 W amp has only 180W power demand and the 300W China SMPS gives only continuous 150W...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do not take this board, it is to weak even for low level audio. The 30W output come with 10% distortion, 60W is not realistic, only if you accept tons of distortion and use a speaker with 2 Ohm..
For a few $ more you get the Dayton Audio KABD-4100 with 4x100W which wil deliver what you expect.
A 150watt SMPS should be enough, if you do not play very loud or plan to extend the bass with the DSP.
For normal music you need much less input from the power supply than the speaker will see as "program power". Constant 200W form the PS may be enough for 500W of program power.
So if a 4x100W amp is in reality only a 4x50W RMS amp and you play musik, not sine waves, you should be fine with a good 150W SMPS.

On the other hand, with cheap SMPS comes the China factor: The 250W unit may only be able to deliver such power for half a second, constant power will be much lower. This miraculously works together: The 400 W amp has only 180W power demand and the 300W China SMPS gives only continuous 150W...
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the KABD-4100 or the Wondom JAB5 (same board) was my other alternative, but the active cooling is a bummer.

I will go with that and a 200W SMPS, above that they need active cooling.

Was will not be extended with the DSP, in fact I think I will high pass above 80-90Hz. If I get 2x 50W + 1x100W KABD-4100 I am good to go.

Cheers

This is the only place I've seen anyone say this about this amp board. Can you tell me where you got this information? I'm interested in the KABD-430. Thank you.

• Claim: "Efficient 4 x 30W of power from the two TPA3118 amp chips delivers clean powerful signal for creating up to 4-channel audio projects"
  • read the datasheet of the TDA chip
  • https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/tpa3118d2
  • Output power depends on load resistance and power supply voltage
  • For HIFI you try to stay well below 1% distortion, typical 0.1%
  • Claimed power is at 10% distortion, which is not compatible with any HIFI quality use

Reactions: 1 user
I just found out that the KABD-4100 (4x100w) can be powered by battery, however their Lithium Battery Charger Board/Modules apparently have an unacceptable issue of significant battery drain while not in use. Is there another option for powering the KABD-4100 with batteries?

Yes, if amp is no good, then SMPS doesn't matter.
This miraculously works together: The 400 W amp has only 180W power demand and the 300W China SMPS gives only continuous 150W...
Yes, China smps with China amp gives 300 Chinese watts !!

• For HIFI you try to stay well below 1% distortion, typical 0.1%
  • Claimed power is at 10% distortion, which is not compatible with any HIFI quality use

Manufacturers specify the chip's datasheet specs which is the best possible case. Inferior board design and components (cheap inductors and caps) can significantly degrade actual performance. As an example, I measured the Sure/Wondom JAB5 distortion at various power levels. I used the Meanwell LRS-350-36 (36V, 9.7 A, 350 W). I did use 4 ohm loads instead of the specified 6 ohms. In ay case, note that my 5W measurement matches what Sure published.

JAB5 THD Measurements.jpg

Sure THD Measurement.JPG

In some of the data sheet of the JAB-5 Sure writes the amp is a "TDA749x".
Which makes one suggest it is the ST "TDA7498e", because it is specified for 4 Ohm use at 36V. What not so many may know, the "x" Sure uses, includes a whole family of ST TDA amps, beginning with the TDA7481 at 2x10W! Which may explain your distortion figures.

I use some cheap 2 channel versions (not Sure!) of the real 7498e and this is an excellent D-chip amp. I'm quite sure it doesn't have any distortion problems.
This is from the data sheet, 4 Ohm, 36 Volt.

Wondom / Sure is primary a company selling speaker for vending machines, kiosks and and other low fi applications. They don't have any high end roots.
I bought some of their products and can not say I'm impressed. Prices are quite high, too. I avoid anything they do. Maybe useable for a boom box or the like.

Attachments

• tda7489e.PNG
    tda7489e.PNG
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: 1 user