150v 80Khz piezo driver amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I already checked LM1875, 1876 and 3886 datasheets; with LM1876 and 3886 there is no problem that they have a bit under 100Khz but LM1876 they only say 70Khz power bandwidth..
But at this point i have a transformer calculation problem.
- First, i dont know detailed trafo calculations,
- Second, the trafo has to be 80Khz tuned
- Third, primary coil must have 8 ohm exact inductive load at 80Khz.
- Fourth, this trafo must handle at least 20W power.
And naturally i cannot calculate a working trafo that can realise that needs!
I know that, here is not place for trafo calculations but may anybody calculate that trafo for me?
Thanks a lot.

No. Its for piezo ceramic motor driver. And i will use a signal generator to change frequency. So the amp must have 70-80Khz bandwidth at least.

2 chips which doubles the voltage swing.
So if i use two LM3886 bridge and feed with +/-38v i can have 38x4=152v swing teorically. Is it? But i guess there is another problem that;
My piezo pads have 65pF capacitance. At this frequency (75Khz) it looks like short circuit from the amp output.. Do you think LM3886s can handle this?

"........At this frequency (75Khz) it looks like short circuit ...."

How ? The reactance for 65pF at 75Khz is over 30 K ohms ! What am I missing ?

Your voltage swing with bridged mode is twice ( x 2 ) and not x 4.
It's power delivered which is x 4 ( voltage squared ).

".... equals 38+38=76v not 154... Who gave that idea?
...." .................You indicated that in your earlier post :)

Do you require a sine wave signal ? If you could manage with a square wave , things might get much simpler .

At 100Khz maybe you could use a ferrite core transformer ??

Here is another one .
http://www.lab-systems.com/products/amplifier/a303.html

Gives you an idea of what they are using in the market !

Looks like you can rig up a simple class B amp with MOSFET's in bridged mode. Should be simple and no need for transformers which can be a big pain in itself.

You want 150V pp. So each bridge should give 75 vpp.
With split supplies you need AT LEAST +/- 45 volts supplies. More to take into account supply drop on load and transistor losses.

Looks like 0.5 % distortion is OK. So a class B or 'almost on' biased transistors might be OK . I think !

Comments anyone ?

1.) Do you need to be able to vary the output voltage ?

2.) Do you want a bandwidth form 70 kHz to 80 kHz or do you need from DC up to this frequency range?

If the voltage can be fixed AND the output signal is narrow-band (i.e. 70 to 80 kHz) then you could as well use a class-C output stage and the voltage-transformation can be done purely by the use of caps and inductors.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.