12V Regulator problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks mods for giving this another try ;)

I see your point there dhaen that this maybe a bit high of a start for me. I know (what I think is) quite a bit about smps but I have never made one so what would you guys recomend for a first time smps for me?

P.S thanks eva for beening the one of the few people who saw what I was asking.

Oh, and also I do have a 100MHz tektronics 465B scope and 2 0-30V, 0-3A power supplys(reged of course).

Thanks for any Ideas! :D

The next concern about your startup circuit is that there is going to be a lot of permanent dissipation in the 5K resistor. This may be fixed by biasing the zener with a much lower current, let's say with a 100K 0.5W resistor that would produce 1mA or more, but then the voltage drop across the zener would be lower than expected. The common and obvious approach is to use a zener rated at a higher voltage so that you get again 12V in the emitter of the pass transistor.

Also, use a 1.2K or 1.5K resistor as a load, dont use 100 ohm!! :hot: (note that the pass transistor still requires a heatsink with only 1.5K load).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.