12th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ryan,

I thought those were minimum 12" woofers - something about that cab :) - makes them look like they mean business.

Thanks :) I also have a 12" waveguide speaker (dual 12s actually, 2.5way) that I brought to Dave's last year.

Sealed vs vented - since you are using subs, why stress the 8" woofer too much? :)

You mean, vent them to reduce the load on the woofer? Or your agreeing that going sealed seems reasonable? Venting would further reduce the load on the 8", but I wanted to keep the box as small as possible. And it simplifies things. I measured an F3 around 70hz. Pretty reasonable for a 60 or 80hz subwoofer XOer.

Ryan,

I had surmised that by keeping the boxes sealed you are limiting low end extension and cone excursion of the 8" woofers (on purpose), and letting the subs handle the LF frequencies for better results (higher SPL, less distortion from the system). Somebody w/o subs would tune the boxes for lower operation (IIRC the woofer FS is 30Hz), but it's likely that the cones would be moving quite a bit for HT applications at higher SPLs.

Also from the 8534G00 woofer spec sheet I see that qts is 0.39 and Vas is 94 litres - I recall GM stating that rule of thumb for a driver with qts of ~0.40 is Vb=Vas... so ~90L odd is a big cab.

Dual 12" 2.5 way sounds wicked... quite a bit of cone area...

- Zia

Dave i think if somebody asked me for a infinity adjustablle metric spanner wrench i might ask them to check with the folks at cape Canaveral.
Cal don,t forget the Q-tip and the ski doo.
Chris that milwaukee is a beast love to have one, unfortunate i have to settle for the girly dewalt recip as we call it.
Speaking of handyman secret weapons think its time for that Green fella to trade in his duct tape for some superior tuck tape

I was down at the Nanaimo maker space yesterday. My friend Mark has been trying to get me there for a while now and they're having a tube amp workshop on the 27th and 28th so I went down to check it out with him. They have a lot of wood working and metal working equipment and tons of other stuff. I was quite impressed. People should come check out the tube amp workshop. I believe Dave and others will be there as well.

Sorry that's not exactly on topic with your event Dave, but didn't seem to warrant another thread. Feel free to nuke this post if it doesn't belong.

I am planning to attend, for the first time. If I travel by motorcycle, I won't be able to bring a whole lot, but it still sounds like great fun!

Gary Dahl

Gary,

Your speakers look mighty impressive sir (and what I have read sound even better)... how about your bike? :)

Look forward to your listening impressions on some of the DIY efforts that will get showcased at the event.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.