• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12B4A Linestage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Parts Questions

Hi guys.

I just recieved the "big" box of supplies, and all looks good.

The ASC oil caps I bought are HUGE! I have a question about these caps. I assume they have no polarity, correct? Also, what is the max DC I can put on these caps. They are 370 VAC. Would it be 1.41X370 = 520VDC?

Also, for the LM317T regulator, how hefty of a heatsink is required, assuming I'll have about 3-4 volts across the device? Finally, is it acceptable to add into the circuit via a switch parralell resistance with R1 to bring the heaters down to 63% of their standard voltage. I'm trying to think about standbty options.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hey,

I was under the impression that a reduction of heater voltage (approx. 60-70% full voltage) and no HV was the proper standby condition.

I think I read this somewhere, though I can't remember the name of the book off the top of my head....

Anybody else?

Bryan

Agent.

Just the book that was escaping my mind. So this is a good idea, or is it unconventual?

I imagine it would increase tube life while avoiding the harsh conditions of firing up the fillaments from a cold state.... 99% of the time the lightbuld blows when you flip the switch!

Any thoughts.

Bryan

I'll have a seperate transformer for the fillaments and the HV/rectifier heaters as well. I'll get a slow start with the damper diodes in the PS, so I'm not too worried about having B+ applied without fillaments, as I would just switch the fillaments on before the B+, or use a relay. I was more thinking about when the amp is resting. I thought it would be nice to keep the tubes warm, but not hot, when the preamp is resting, as to avoid unecessary warm-up at the beginning of a listening session... or is this all a waste of time/effort?

I believe my ARC SP9-MKIII works this way???

Thoughts,

Bryan

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I imagine it would increase tube life while avoiding the harsh conditions of firing up the fillaments from a cold state.... 99% of the time the lightbuld blows when you flip the switch!

Let's not get paranoid here...

Assuming you stick to the tube rectifier, you have slow start built in.
The 12B4A also has controlled heater warm up ( that's what the suffix "A" stands for.

So, switch the preamp on about twenty minutes prior to serious listening and stop worrying.

If anyone has prove of prolonged tubelife by opting for a different work around for this case, I'd like to hear about it.

Cheers,;)

Transformer Clarification

Hey Guys,

Just to clarify any confusion I may have...

The HV transformer should be 300VAC at 100mA, no center tap, correct? This is one of the advantages to this topology right, no need for the CT?

Would this be the same transformer as a 600 VCT transformer.

If I am having these custom wound, how should I specify this to the manufacturer?

I'm thinking I need a 300 VAC, 100mA transformer which will be used in full wave bridge configuration, right?

Thanks,

Bryan

Frank,

I understand that the output voltages are the same, but I was told by the manufacturer that the core type may be different depending on duty cycle of the transformer???

Which type would make more sense for my application, a 150-CT-150 or a 0-300, or would it simply not matter in terms of voltage output.

Using two monodiode tubes, would this still be FWB?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I understand that the output voltages are the same, but I was told by the manufacturer that the core type may be different depending on duty cycle of the transformer???

60 or 50 Hz cycles? Never heard that before though.

Which type would make more sense for my application, a 150-CT-150 or a 0-300, or would it simply not matter in terms of voltage output.

If you use a tube rectifier then I recommend the CT.
Also keep in mind that these tube rectifier cause some voltage drop and you'll also lose some more in your filter section.

Using two monodiode tubes, would this still be FWB?

FW, yes but no bridge.

Cheers,;)

LM317T Problem

Hey Guys,

Quick question/problem....

I've built up a little CRCRCRC-LM317T-fillament supply to power the 12B4A's.

I tested the circuit with my Fluke measuring the voltage between the Vout and the ground of the circuit. Everything was looking good. It showed a slow ramp up to voltage, at which point it stabilized, and would hold voltage steady when I would adjust the mains voltage with the variac. I thouhgt everything was fine.

Then I hooked up the circuit to a tube, and nothing happened. To be more exact, the voltage, when the load of the tube was applied, read 0.1 volts. I dont know what to make of this?

Any suggestions?

I will work over the circuit tomorrow morning, but it seemes to be correct.

The R values for the voltage divider are 220 ohm, and a 2.5Kpot set to about 1800 ohm, to set the voltage to 12.6...If this helps. I've also bypassed the pot with a 100uF cap, and added 2 1n4002 diodes as per the manufacturers recomendations.

Thanks for the help,

Bryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.