1176 compressor output transformer alternative

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Taj,

Yeah i did a lot of reading and i can see how the output transformer does give a certain tone. I think in some ways a output transformer in some ways also acts as a mild low pass filter i think thats why with other line drivers the hiss comes about. I was looking at isolation transformers which are 600:600 but as you stated the output doesn't seem to be enough hense the 2:1 ratio used for output gain. on the other hand depending how good you were theres no reason you couldn't adjust the output gain on signal amplifier section. although then its not original. The only bonus in using 600:600 transformers on output is there regarded as isolation transformers and they are more common than most. If you know of any brands of any cheap output transformers that are on ebay or elsewhere that are easily obtainable. let me know. Thanks for your help

I've looked at other compressor but i love the fet style compressor i also like the optical one's to but the fet have the best punch thats why i want the classic 1176. I think iam smart enough to build one. whats hard about the calibration process when setting one up? Just so i know when i get to it. If you know of any other good fet compressor's or optical let me know. I tried the weak joe compressor all it does it distort a lot at high compression levels. I am really keen to find some decent price output transformers i might start to really like them. :D

Hey Seedseed
Uf what a confusion....I write on 2 threads.....on this and on the other ...,,output transformer...mains one...blabla..,,
So I will write only here.
I hope that you see that links with oep transformers....those are good enough in comparison to mains transformer....Because I tried I won't recommend you to go with mains transformer because it will give you dark ,,muddy,, sound. About the ratio. Original unit has 1:1 ratio but slight increase of gain by help of transformer is very useful ,,on the road,, so something like 1:1.5 will be almost ideal. Of course 1:2 is o.k. too. But this step up is some sort of tweak. If you want original 1176 than simple go with 1:1, 600:600 transformer. There is everything prepared for oep on that site which I posted link....and those boards has one big advantage. There is corrected ground loop which was present on gyraf's boards and which cause hummmm.
You asked for some other compressor. I clone ureiLA4a opto and I's nice. More smooth sounding somehow less sharp,aggressive. And it is little easier to use because it has threshold knob...If you need any info about it I can tell you a lot of things......but there is again output transformer:)
This VU shows gr on prototype....
Best regards

Attachments

• Picture 658.jpg
    Picture 658.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 148
Ah...
I must be pin in the ***....sorry.
It is really cheap and effective to find someone who manufacture transformers somewhere nearby and go there with specification which I post.....I don't know how are such things in Australia but here in Ljubljana where I live is some 10 different workshops where they wound such tranny cheap and fast.....I have one such guy 3Km away and he charge me 6 €.....good price performance value:)

Hi Taj,
I would like to build diy transformer for G1176. I already made pcb and soldered all the parts and when i saw this post on diy transformer, I stoped the ordering of lundahl 5402...
But I dont understand all of the things...
thickness of the wire inside the core and and dimensions of the core...is it standard when you buy EI42 core??!?!?!
I would be very grateful if you would send me those specs and other relevant data for building that transformer....
:)
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.