100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

I found some time to hook it up to a +-59V PSU, 20,000uF per rail. The sound is very good as expected. Square waves look beautiful It clips at 32vac into an 8 ohm load for about 128W.

Things of note.
The MJE350 runs very hot. The little heatsink is uncomfortably hot to grasp.
The offset is very high at turn on but settles fairly quickly. There is a noticeable sound through the speakers until this happens. I would say a speaker protection with delay would be in order.

Attachments

• FH11 singing in stereo.jpg
    FH11 singing in stereo.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 1,587
Hello

Hello Bimo
greetings thank you for your reply trying to make a quasi Nchannel
cheap mosfet amp using IRFP460 pre drivers used are 1381/3503
driver is mje15032/33 its just an experiment if sound is good will post
warm regards
Andrew;)

Attachments

• 13714455_584167181744721_1991791093_n.jpg
    13714455_584167181744721_1991791093_n.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,564
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I found some time to hook it up to a +-59V PSU, 20,000uF per rail. The sound is very good as expected. Square waves look beautiful It clips at 32vac into an 8 ohm load for about 128W.

Things of note.
The MJE350 runs very hot. The little heatsink is uncomfortably hot to grasp.
The offset is very high at turn on but settles fairly quickly. There is a noticeable sound through the speakers until this happens. I would say a speaker protection with delay would be in order.

Thanks for doing the high power test. For an amp with this much power, speaker protection is probably mandatory. Do you have a favorite Apex design you can recommend for the protection?

I wonder if the turn on thump is the 1000uF feedback cap charging up?

Maybe a circuit design with the MJE350 mounted on main heatsink would help - or a larger heatsink?

Did you happen to snap a photo of the square wave? What frequency did you take the square wave at?

Thanks.

Thanks for doing the high power test. For an amp with this much power, speaker protection is probably mandatory. Do you have a favorite Apex design you can recommend for the protection?

Maybe a circuit design with the MJE350 mounted on main heatsink would help - or a larger heatsink?

Did you happen to snap a photo of the square wave? What frequency did you take the square wave at?

Thanks.

I suggest this stereo protect with over current, DC and anti klik (delay on)

Attachments

• apex stereo protect with ocp.jpg
    apex stereo protect with ocp.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,472
I suggest this stereo protect with over current, DC and anti klik (delay on)

Mr. Mile, is there a schematic of the protect PCB for mono version (for subwoofer-high power)?. Also if pro is not connected, will still function with DC detect and start delay? or should i use NE555 mono protect without pro. (willJJ PCB) available somewhere in the middle posts of this thread.
reg
Prasi

I have modified willy's NE555 pcb. Is there any changes needs to be done.

Hi Sonal,
as usual very nice pcb. if i understand correctly, there is a small daughter board that goes along with it, which will enable pro- pin on any BJT amp . that consists of a couple of transistors and 4-5 passives. not sure if it can be adapted to FH-11 2-pair here.
reg
prasi

apex stereo protect

APEX SST Protect.JPG hi
Mr apex,my first attempt ,please check for any mistakes ,i have attached the schematic,eagle brd file,screen shot of the brd file. only changes i have made is added parallel irf 540, as done by rensil in the post 7692,thank you

Attachments

• apex speaker protect 3.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Apex protect 3.jpg
    Apex protect 3.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 1,724
Last edited:

Thanks.
I'm sure you are right about the large feedback cap.
Probably a larger heatsink would suffice.
Here are some scope shots.

Attachments

• FH11 100hz.jpg
    FH11 100hz.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,410
  • FH11 1khz.jpg
    FH11 1khz.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,351
  • FH11 10khz.jpg
    FH11 10khz.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,345
  • FH11 20khz.jpg
    FH11 20khz.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 247
  • FH11 50khz.jpg
    FH11 50khz.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 241
  • FH11 hard clipping.jpg
    FH11 hard clipping.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 243
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm sure you are right about the large feedback cap.
Probably a larger heatsink would suffice.
Here are some scope shots.

Thank you! Wow - that does look pretty clean, no ringing at all, and not too shabby up to 20kHz given the whole lack of a low impedance driver for the gates.

I can see why it sounds good. :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
View attachment 561074 hi
Mr apex,my first attempt ,please check for any mistakes ,i have attached the schematic,eagle brd file,screen shot of the brd file. only changes i have made is added parallel irf 540, as done by rensil in the post 7692,thank you

Having never used a protect circuit - what do the connections mean? Speaker "+" vs "-" and "out?

Out goes to amp?

Andrew FX9 sound is softer

Hallo andrewlebon.
If it is so i also shoud build the FX9. In my listening experience i have find out that i like
more H2 signature and bit lower damping to speaker in sound.
The nice sounding simple FX8 plays after 2 weeks in use with better sorted image and
opens a bit more- very pleasant.

I have a little question to sonal: wich pcb layout Programm u use?
On weekend i have tested KICAD and Express PCB, but i am to dump to import files to
work on it or it is not possible.
I have seen in Juan clip- he works with Sprint Layout you can import files and rearrange
it.
For me it needs to much time to create a schema and work step by step- i am search a
short way to work on Bimos FX8 mod board for example.
If any other can give me advise- all is welcome- thanks.

Nice work here again the new FH11 !

Cheers Bangla.