100W incandescent bulbs are now legal again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My biggest issue with LED is the color rendering issue. There are some led with a high CRI which are nice but not very many are available in stores. A truely satisfying LED for indoor living spaces would probably be some DIY contraption. That being said I will melt the eyes off of any intruder with my aspherical lense XML flashlight. It's seriously blinding with your eyes closed. I heard they work well on grey aliens too.

Incandescents are being phased out in Europe, with the 100W, 75W and 60W no longer being available.

However, for a little more $$ you can get halogen replacements. It's basically a smaller halogen bulb inside a normal sized glass bulb with E27 base (standard screw base).

I bought one of those the other day, the bulb itself is like 40 watts or so but produces light comparable to a 60 watt bulb. I'm quite happy with these bulbs as a replacement.

If they keep this type on the shelves, and not force us to use CCFL or LED, I don't really see the issue with phasing out edison-type incandescents...
The light produced is practically the same, but with 30% less power usage.

The halogen replacements are being offered in the UK.

At the moment they are approximately 5times the price of the old bulbs.
Some of the special old bulbs are still available. But since these are specials they have always been more expensive than ordinary tungsten filament bulbs.
Halogen bulbs have been mass produced for decades. They are not a new technology.
Why are the halogen replacement more expensive than the specials?

BTW,
a halogen gives ~+25% more light for the same Watts consumed.
That is equivalent to a 20% saving in electricity consumed for the same light output.
A 30% saving in electricity would imply that Watt for Watt a replacement halogen gives out ~42.9% more light than an ordinary tungsten filament lamp. If the advertising/packaging is claiming 142% or similar light output then they are basically telling lies.

Last edited:
Ok well I took that 30% number off of the box, should have known it was a bit optimistic.

In any case they're not 5 times as expensive here, so that's kinda strange. :scratch:

The 42W version I got was €1,49, and normal lamps were about €1 or so.
I don't know how long they last but if it's at least the same as a regular bulb you'll get that €0,50 back easy, and then some.

Halogen bulb is a bit more complicated stuff to produce than a common incandescent one therefore it costs a bit more. The ones that have been manufactured in E27 form-factor might be expensive because of low quantities and convenience as let use halogen without the need to adopt luminaries.

12V halogen bulbs are more efficient than incandescent ones and provide 3000K light with best possible CRI

Philips MASTERCapsule - Any Lamp

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GY6-35-Master-Capsule-18163/dp/B000WKPS82

Last edited:
Not carbon filament.
It looks like a straight version of a tungsten filament. Rather than a coiled version or coiled coil version.
I would expect a carbon filament, if never switched off, to last at least 10years.

A fire house in I think Detroit has an original Edison bulb that has been on since it was installed. I remember it to be carbon, but I could be incorrect. A tad over 10 years. Closer to 90.

An issue with LEDs is that we expect the portion of the blue spectrum to decrease as we approach sleep. The on/off of high temp light is messing with our circadian rhythms causing various stress related problems. Cool white phosphor has the same problem and has been shown to cause higher stress in the office than lower temp phosphor bulbs.

Well, it is 16 degrees (F) out there. My bank of 6 60W tungsten bulbs is brightly illuminating this room, and the 83% IR energy is keeping me toasty at only twice the cost of my furnace. I can live with that. On the other hand, the bright 800 L LED spot illuminating the keyboard only a foot from my head is not singing the place where my hair used to be.

I have been turning in my CFLs as time and cost allow.

What I have not seen is mapping the range of frequencies our eyes respond to vs the frequencies we can generate by emmision or phosphor. We only see 32% of the frequencies across a "hot wire reference of viable light" Does everyone see the same sets of frequencies? Or does each of us vary enough that we really do need broad spectrum light? If the later is true, then we are limited to 32% being a "perfect" light source. LED's and the industrial 8 foot florescent are about half way there. Only narrow spectrum like Sodium can be more efficient.

Halogen bulb is a bit more complicated stuff to produce than a common incandescent one therefore it costs a bit more. The ones that have been manufactured in E27 form-factor might be expensive because of low quantities and convenience as let use halogen without the need to adopt luminaries.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised that they cost up to 5x as much or even $40 as someone in this thread mentioned. I think €1,50 is a VERY reasonable price for such a lamp. :)

It's not like mains voltage halogen bulbs were exactly uncommon before incandescents got banned, just not in the E27 and E14 form factors.

A quartz envelope you can't touch filled, with exotic gas in low quantity, made in the West, vs cheap glass made without the hint of ROHS paperwork filled with maybe dry nitrogen or for the 49 cent bulbs, air. Still, $40 seems high. Go price a bulb for a projector. Try closer to $200. Am I allowed to reference commercial sights? I get most everything from lightblubs.com. I am sure there are others on all continents. Why ship a bulb from China to the US to ship it back the the EU? Not green.

A quartz envelope you can't touch filled, with exotic gas in low quantity, made in the West, vs cheap glass made without the hint of ROHS paperwork filled with maybe dry nitrogen or for the 49 cent bulbs, air. Still, $40 seems high. Go price a bulb for a projector. Try closer to $200. Am I allowed to reference commercial sights? I get most everything from lightblubs.com. I am sure there are others on all continents.
The quartz glass has never been an issue, just wipe if you do touch them by accident.

BTW the extra glass envelope around it in the replacement bulbs takes care of that problem.

Why ship a bulb from China to the US to ship it back the the EU? Not green.
One of the greatest fallacies of the "green" movement. But that's different tale altogether. :D

Yup, more costs to add to the price.

That's OK. We don't have a clue how to ***** total cost of ownership of a system where I work either. I was going to do a thesis on that. The premise is we don't have a universal standard by which to measure cost. Lots on expense. We pump oil. There are expenses. What is the cost? How many solar units were needed to produce that oil over the million or so years it took to produce it? What does solar fusion cost? It is finite over a few tens of billions of years. If we wanted to make the oil, what is the real cost? Given a half way starting point of say, elemental hydrogen and carbon. This seemed to really upset the econ department so I did not continue. The world economy is based on cost shifting and no one wants to left to pay the piper.

A fire house in I think Detroit has an original Edison bulb that has been on since it was installed. I remember it to be carbon, but I could be incorrect. A tad over 10 years. Closer to 90.

Tungsten?

cb11.jpg

It's not like mains voltage halogen bulbs were exactly uncommon before incandescents got banned, just not in the E27 and E14 form factors.
I saw halogen ones enveloped in E27 glass bulb manufactured by Philips 5 years ago in Home Depot in USA. It price tag was something about 50 USD and was positioned as a special bulbs for perfect color rendition for home hobbies like sewing/water color painting etc. That is a pricey bulb I must admit.

However I never saw such E27 halogen bulbs in local russian supermarkets at all. Halogen trafos and 12V bulbs for G socket are easily obtainable as well 220-240V but not E27.

To compare common 100W incandescent bulb has lifetime about 5000 Hours and provides about 1100 Lumen at 2200K. In case it delivers 1700 lumen it's lifetime shorten to about 750 Hours. The color temperature is below 2700K.

Halogen Philips MasterCapsul 60 Watt bulb provides 4000Hours lifetime at 1700 Lumen and color temperature 3000K that is really a better bulb in compare with 100W incandescent.

BTW what I was amazed at Home Depot they do have fully automated cashier desks I was able to scan all goods on my own and then just swipe a credit card that is all full self-service and a lot of fun too:up:

I saw halogen ones enveloped in E27 glass bulb manufactured by Philips 5 years ago in Home Depot in USA. It price tag was something about 50 USD and was positioned as a special bulbs for perfect color rendition for home hobbies like sewing/water color painting etc. That is a pricey bulb I must admit.

However I never saw such E27 halogen bulbs in local russian supermarkets at all. Halogen trafos and 12V bulbs for G socket are easily obtainable as well 220-240V but not E27.

To compare common 100W incandescent bulb has lifetime about 5000 Hours and provides about 1100 Lumen at 2200K. In case it delivers 1700 lumen it's lifetime shorten to about 750 Hours. The color temperature is below 2700K.

Halogen Philips MasterCapsul 60 Watt bulb provides 4000Hours lifetime at 1700 Lumen and color temperature 3000K that is really a better bulb in compare with 100W incandescent.
I will need to check the lifetime specs of the bulb I got, but I think it was 1000 or 2000 hrs. Then again, and I'll keep saying, just €1,50 ;)

BTW what I was amazed at Home Depot they do have fully automated cashier desks I was able to scan all goods on my own and then just swipe a credit card that is all full self-service and a lot of fun too:up:

Yeah in Holland we have some supermarkets that have that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I bought one of those the other day, the bulb itself is like 40 watts or so but produces light comparable to a 60 watt bulb. I'm quite happy with these bulbs as a replacement.
Hurray! I try to mention these every time the "no more incandescent bulbs" subject comes up. It seems to go right over most people's heads. Glad to see them put to use. :up:
If we have to go more efficient, these are a nice way to go.

FWIW, I use good quality CFLs in all our lamps with lamp shades. No one has ever noticed or commented on the "bad" color.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.