1000 watt amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when it comes to chinese amps, its usually one (or more) digits on wattage too much... probably spelling error lol
i had one that was labelled 1200w and was quite big, yet it couldnt push 10" sub rated at 250wrms (also exaggerated).
when i opened it, can you guess how many fets i seen in there and how much blank space?
compared to a labelles kenwood which was my first amp it was like robbed. kenwood pushed 2 JBL 12"subs rated 350w at least 5 times better and inside it had 3 boards. chinese had only one

Is this the reason why people are starting to purchase more old school amplifiers more than ever? Or are they just buying them thinking they can "pound, slam, beat, bump" there 2000 watt drivers? Lol. I'm a youngster and i do know the differences between the amplifiers now and before..... Big difference in performance and craftsmanship. Some amplifiers today are pretty decent but not all. Really good thread BTW and was pretty entertained while reading the previous replies. You guys are very knowledgeable and tough me quite well. I like.

... because you just can't get that old school build quality anymore......save for the high-end sq built amps, that are way over-priced......... anywho- it's kind of simple from my experience...... they have been sold by the flashy words floatin around their streets, so sell them on an honest term- rms...... now show them/explain what that means. respect the desire for bling, but feed them with gaining the secret knowledge of rms ratings, even the ratings when at different voltages. they will love you because you just made them smarter, and will think they know some secret. they will borrow money from grandma to get up into the 300rms+ club over the 1k- peak they were looking for. if you have a shop, it is real helpful to actually have show pieces out for display, rather than just the regular display cabinets. the most successful shop for decades always has, and still does just that, and it really helps customers more than visualize their tangible results

Lol, I see this now. I sell amps to a guy that retails them, and all he wants is amps that say "1,000 watts" on the front or more, maybe an 800. However last time I was there he did sell a better (blaupunkt) 400w faster. One of his favorites is the 1kw insignia BB sold, it is rated 2x115rms iirc. But you have young kids in there and they don't know any better, I get on an audio site sometimes and noobs are always being told to ignore peak ratings. I guess if I was retail I would try to list both. Myself everything is hidden in my car and I hardly show it to anyone and know few people that would care. In addition I would use pyramid (and have) long as it works for what I am doing. I did run a pyramid amp on subs long ago and it worked ok, it was a late 80s amp PB300 I think and they were IB subs that didn't need much power. IMO buying better equipment buys you better chances at quality performance, you have to sift through cheap stuff to find the gems. But hey if a kid wants 2Kw for $100 then sell them what they want, present an alternative but they have the right to buy what they want.

Lol, I see this now. I sell amps to a guy that retails them, and all he wants is amps that say "1,000 watts" on the front or more, maybe an 800. However last time I was there he did sell a better (blaupunkt) 400w faster. One of his favorites is the 1kw insignia BB sold, it is rated 2x115rms iirc. But you have young kids in there and they don't know any better, I get on an audio site sometimes and noobs are always being told to ignore peak ratings. I guess if I was retail I would try to list both. Myself everything is hidden in my car and I hardly show it to anyone and know few people that would care. In addition I would use pyramid (and have) long as it works for what I am doing. I did run a pyramid amp on subs long ago and it worked ok, it was a late 80s amp PB300 I think and they were IB subs that didn't need much power. IMO buying better equipment buys you better chances at quality performance, you have to sift through cheap stuff to find the gems. But hey if a kid wants 2Kw for $100 then sell them what they want, present an alternative but they have the right to buy what they want.

I say don't tell them anything about these cheap mainstream amplifiers let them learn on there own how sucky they are and how long they will last before the burn up. I've owned maybe a couple mainstream brand amplifiers i remember one brand being performance teknique and power acoustic and when i used them i wasn't pleased with the sound from them not one bit sure it made a big bang but just didn't have that nice good clean punch like the old Rockfords that i love dearly. The PT amp was suppose to be "1200 watts" but sounded nothing like it..... So did the PA amp. Those seem to be popular where i live and i don't know how they like those... But if it makes them happy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.