100 Watt Chipamp Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EWorkshop1708 said:
Is that 5 pairs of outputs? Or 4 pairs and a driver?

That's REAL nice. So the LME needs a small heatsink, similar to a high-powered VAS stage. Where can you get 'em?

4 pairs of outputs and driver pair. LME dissipates app. 1W so heatsink you see is OK. You can order them at National site, like samples or regular order.

jackinnj said:
The LME49810 was designed for guitar amplifiers and the like.

... and the like power amps for active studio monitors, hi-fi, subwoofers, up to 1kW PA amps ...

I can say it sounds way better than any gainclone chip ... :D

Lazy Cat said:
I can say it sounds way better than any gainclone chip ... :D

Quite unlike to beat the fidelity of LM1875, but that amp isn't strong enough for the job. . .

But, hey!! I like your approach. Its so very thorough! ;) Yes, let's hook a 1 kilowatt amplifier up to those boring, 86db speakers, and blast the suckers into oblivion. :D That way, we can replace them with some better efficiency speakers, capable of concert-realistic dynamics (as in most prosound speakers), for loudness that's actually useful.
Yes, I always did appreciate the "blow the problem away" approach, because it doesn't leave any doubts.

danielwritesbac said:

Quite unlike to beat the fidelity of LM1875, but that amp isn't strong enough for the job. . .

But, hey!! I like your approach. Its so very thorough! ;)

Exactly like you've said, when you put those little chips into serious system, they simply vanish, unable to drive fullrange speakers to realistic sound pressure levels. And finally if you consider nowadays speakers to have on average 88 dB/W/m efficiency you would certainly have need for power here. :angel:

Speaking about sound quality I've tested a lot of compact chip amps and I also recomend you to do the same with LME49810 and than please reply the revelation post. ;)

Hi, Chip amps are not well suited to very high power amplications as it becomes very difficult to get the heat out of the chip fast enough.

However National Semiconductor make a chip amplifer driver chip which just needs the power transistors and bias circuitry external. This is capable of the kind of power you are looking for.

The Part No. is LM4702. If you look on Nationals web site there is a full data sheet and an Application note on how to make a 100W low distortion amplifer AN-1490. This has circuit diagrams and even PCB layouts and bill of materials.

Regards,
Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.