10" Kickbin / Frontloaded Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We're talking about a broad dip that goes down 15dB @ 500 Hz
I've measured strong dips at 500 Hz in-room and I've never build a Karlson in my life. Without a reference measurement, it's hard to come to validate conclusions.

To be fair, we were talking about that ánd the Grand Canyon.

The CuboKick is ok. But as I read in that thread it starts at 110hz with a 12". I think thats a bit to high
I would have suggested it, though I think it would been nice if Freddyi had landed a Karlson. I consider myself neutral towards Karlsons, I'm definitely biased towards Cubo-designs ;)

Is there a reason, why 8" and 10" are not used in kickbins?
You're using a total down scaled system in comparison with most systems, that likely use 12" or 15" drivers for kick.

I would advise using Cubo Kick from 90 - 110 Hz and up for medium to larger systems, the larger the system, the higher I would cross them. For smaller systems, different rules apply. I would build a Cubo Kick 12 at 35 cm wide (external) for the smoothest response (for specifically the 10PS26). As you can see below 80 Hz isn't a problem:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://img169.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=158494739_CuboKickSmall6dBvsXtro_122_800lo.JPG

Cubo

Last edited:
Dear Cubo - I think I've almost landed enough Karlsons - just a few more :p

13-K12. 5-K15, 4-x15, 4-K10, 2-Karlonator 12,1-Karlsonator 6, 2-XK8, 1-SK8 2 Acoustic 115BK, 2KK-Audio (like 115BK and Transylvania Power cabinet)

one 10" strong woofer is just barely enough kick for home use with a Karlson.

I have no mobility so have not heard a band for about 20 years, I'd love to have a Cubo15 kick for fun.

here's about what I think my 7 cubic foot horn would do vs a 4.2 cubic foot Karlson with 15L. A K10 might be about 2-3dB weaker (?)

1c6uxlw.jpg

little K outdoors with mic on the ground - there's no damping material at all in that 115BK cabinet. It has about a 28 sq.inch. vent.
post-16352-1381927583395.jpg

Last edited:
OK, If you think that CuboKick12 will work with my 10ps26 then i will give it a try.
dimensions are perfect for my use.
also 15mm is not as heavy. And it is easy to built.
And if the cubomaster himself thinks my b&c will work, so why not?

About size:
I know that this is a small system. But thats my intention. And don´t forget: it is just for fun and private use. Next step is to built a big one. That will be 4 Othorn, maybe 2 double HD15 or something else(cubokick15?) and 4 MT130 or MT121. But step by step. And then if all that stuff works, i will try a mini style. 6 inch th, 5"midtop and 8"kick. but this is all future stuff. you know, all of that have to be paid. and there are some amps needed also....

I "think" I get some kick with Karlson stuff - for home use, I really like a K-tube tweeter

K10 size (2.2 cubic foot external bulk) vs K15
cAG0sDb.jpg

K10 Delta10a vs K12 pym1298 (~same as Kappa12a) K12 is about 3.3 cubic foot external bulk.
SS9xTFz.gif

K10 Delta10a vs Acoustic Control 115BK EVM15L
58BKiku.gif

The Cubo Kicks have 3 dividers in the port, effectively creating 4 ports, next to each other, of equal size. For every port that you close, preferably with a wood panel from the outside, you'll lower the tuning of the reflex part with about 10 Hz.

Of course, closing each consecutive port will lower the output between the reflex part and the horn part Alternatively, to diminish this effect, you can lengthen all 4 ports with a 6.4 cm/ 2 1/2" panel, making the total physical port length 15 cm/ 6" (the same length as the dividers).

are there hornresp models for the Cubo kick series?

Not that I know of. The prototypes I've build showed the low frequency response of the offset models, with the smoothness of the front loaded models.

The Delta 10A will work nicely, I couldn't find all necessary T/S for the 12G200 but what I could find, suggests it would do even a bit better than the Delta 10A.

Johan

Attachments

• Cubo Kick 12 Lower Tuning.png
    Cubo Kick 12 Lower Tuning.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.