1% metal film resistors - overkill?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow!
Quite a few responses here for such a short period. I appreciate having so many more brains than my own.
For those of you who noticed, I posted another thread that noted my lack of knowledge when it comes to how component composition relates to specific applications.

I've built 2 phonostages. I used 5% carbon film resistors in one of them, and 1% metal in the other. The PS with metal film resistors had a much lower noise floor which I'd guess is what made the sound image more resolute and forward than that of its carbon filmed brother.
But as we all know, phonostages are not tuners. I'll definitely replace the resistors in the HK's phono section. I wonder if the linestage could benefit from the same treatment.

To me at this point, the HK receiver sounds OK but is clearly nothing special. If I destroy it (which is unlikely), I won't be too upset. I DO have the schematics. http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service%20Manual/HK330b%20sm.pdf

Thanks again for the input and useful links. The ePanorama page is exceptional! Per-Anders, what exactly IS your avatar an image of?

LowRedMoon said:
I've built 2 phonostages. I used 5% carbon film resistors in one of them, and 1% metal in the other. The PS with metal film resistors had a much lower noise floor which I'd guess is what made the sound image more resolute and forward than that of its carbon filmed brother.
But as we all know, phonostages are not tuners. I'll definitely replace the resistors in the HK's phono section. I wonder if the linestage could benefit from the same treatment.

There are only a very small number of resistors in the receiver that would benefit from replacement by lower noise ones, as you have already found the most likely place is the phono stages. However, only a small number of those resistors will make any difference as well - it's usually pretty obvious which ones will have appreciable effect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.