1, 2, SIT3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being a SIT, the load-line is important, and many users have found that
the amp shines with loads from 4 to 8 ohms. Those running higher
impedances have generally experienced better sound if they place some
resistance in parallel with the output so as to bring the load into that
region, for example a 15 ohm resistor in parallel with a 16 ohm speaker.

Thanks - if this was addressed to me. My speakers are easy load, clean 8 ohm with a very benign impedance graph - the main amp kicks in from 300hz on (bass is active) so no difficult impedance swings in lower region. It actually sounded the best with these speakers in comparison with all 3 different ones we tested SIT-3 with.

I don't own Tannoys so someone should know better if HPD 315 or HPD 385 are difficult to drive.

If I manage to get another one for test, we will check it with DeVore Orangutan O/96 soon.

The amp is certainly excellent only that soundwise it is not what some hyped it for - a replacement for true DHT. A bunch of us who heard it had a clear consensus about that - I was truly hoping to get out of that expensive DHT lifestyle. As I said in my first post, the conclusion depends on a point of reference and they are different if it's F5 or a proper SE DHT amp costing much more than SIT-3 or clones. I have no doubts it's the best FW, at least that I had a chance to hear.

Last edited:
Thanks - if this was addressed to me. My speakers are easy load, clean 8 ohm with a very benign impedance graph - the main amp kicks in from 300hz on (bass is active) so no difficult impedance swings in lower region. It actually sounded the best with these speakers in comparison with all 3 different ones we tested SIT-3 with.

I don't own Tannoys so someone should know better if HPD 315 or HPD 385 are difficult to drive.

If I manage to get another one for test, we will check it with DeVore Orangutan O/96 soon.

The amp is certainly excellent only that soundwise it is not what some hyped it for - a replacement for true DHT. A bunch of us who heard it had a clear consensus about that - I was truly hoping to get out of that expensive DHT lifestyle. As I said in my first post, the conclusion depends on a point of reference and they are different if it's F5 or a proper SE DHT amp costing much more than SIT-3 or clones. I have no doubts it's the best FW, at least that I had a chance to hear.
I'm convinced you did well to get rid of the Sit-3. I did not understand why you come to tell us. I know and built excellent amplifiers with 300-B and 6C33 (OTL Circlotron). I loved them and abandoned them ..... now I live well with my SissySIT that took their place ..... it's not the SIT-3 .... but I think it has a lot in common. My speakers are not trumpet nor Tannoy (which I really appreciate) but more simply the Diapason Adamantes II . The marriage with SissySit was the most beautiful for me ..... so much so that I will build another one to biamplify. I will not stop.

I don't know that I ever came across representations that SIT or First Watt were substitutes or 'superior' to DHT type amps. I think First Watt that I have heard and SIT/VFET deserve to be regarded for their own positive attributes irregardless, rather than by comparison.

I do know that using a DHT driver/preamp with a Pass clone VFET or M2 is quite special and I think are a better combo than the SET amps I was using previously (at least to my taste) without emulating the SET amps on any particulars. The speed and separation are certainly better than SET that I have experienced. I suppose the SS are perhaps 'different but better on some particulars, maybe not on others'.

I am a tone freak, and I *luv* the restrained but sweet tone, black spaces, and soundstage separation of VFET. I also find they have the 'charm' factor that keeps me entranced with wanting to hear what is coming next rather than fatigue.

If I were to make my own isolated and perhaps inappropriate comparison to tubes, I would call a push pull VFET like a very powerful sounding OTL DHT type amp.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mentioned hype is made by and embraced by ignorant Graal-Seekers , without necessary engaging of logic

if one is to compare and search for even slightly possible replacement for tube SE amplifier , between Papamps of late , then SIT-1 and even SIT-2 are logical candidates

SIT-3 is , even having THD spectra with dominant 2nd harmonic , still better compared with tube push-pull amps

see - one doesn't need to have knowledge , just little logic ....... if already posing as informed person

:devily:

edit: DEFiSIT and SissySIT are both singing gloriously with my 16R RCA Boobies

maybe I'll try altering load line with 16R across amp terminals , but I'm not in a hurry

and yes , they're also good with DC Tanns , of all sizes

Last edited:
Certainly reviews and hype (including this forum) are misguiding, just as always in audio. I only trust what I hear myself in my system which is anyway referent enough to test anything I wish.

Even though it was enough what I, together with a number of local audiophiles and DIY-ers witnessed and heard during numerous repeated tests (and after what I would personally not care to read any "logical" excuses), it seems we were not the only one to conclude the same, vis-a-vis SIT emulating tube amps. As close as it gets:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FirstWatt SIT-3 Class A amplifier amp Nelson Pass For Sale - US Audio Mart

Cheers!

PS. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, the third amp that was actually the most superior in comparison was not a DHT one, but indirect-heated 6C33C based PSE amp, a radical product by a local DIY wizz, eng. Ferenc Lazar. But again unfair comparison because this is a 20k shelf value sonic territory with some unique solutions to compensate a notorious unlinearity of the russian tube plus 13 pieces of iron under the bonnet including a rather revolutionary interstage step up.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've seen a fair bit of excitement on diyaudio about the SIT3, but I wouldn't say
a lot of hype. In fact, I haven't seen that much written here based on first hand
experience.

The limited production nature of the SIT3 probably meant a good number
of people jumped in to buy one without the benefit of an audition. So
it is not surprising some may decide afterwards the SIT3 is for not
for them.

Certainly reviews and hype (including this forum) are misguiding, just as always in audio. I only trust what I hear myself in my system which is anyway referent enough to test anything I wish.

Even though it was enough what I, together with a number of local audiophiles and DIY-ers witnessed and heard during numerous repeated tests (and after what I would personally not care to read any "logical" excuses), it seems we were not the only one to conclude the same, vis-a-vis SIT emulating tube amps. As close as it gets:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FirstWatt SIT-3 Class A amplifier amp Nelson Pass For Sale - US Audio Mart

Cheers!

PS. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, the third amp that was actually the most superior in comparison was not a DHT one, but indirect-heated 6C33C based PSE amp, a radical product by a local DIY wizz, eng. Ferenc Lazar. But again unfair comparison because this is a 20k shelf value sonic territory with some unique solutions to compensate a notorious unlinearity of the russian tube plus 13 pieces of iron under the bonnet including a rather revolutionary interstage step up.
I think you don't know what you want. You had your perfect DHT tube ..... why buy the SIT-3?
Why didn't you build that mysterious amp with 6C33? too expensive? or you were afraid to repent ... all things already seen and heard. In the end to justify your step from the faults of the incautious gesture to those who appreciated in full freedom of judgment ..... should they not express their judgment?
Personally, if I make a choice, I do it in solitude ..... I listen to myself and value myself ..... so I don't have to complain to anyone.

You are asking too many question and actually none is your concern. I would only mind to answer those related to the topic.

The reason why I am interested to go solid state is to lower the costs of the exploitation of DHT-based systems. Good 300b tubes (EML, new Western Electric, Takatsuki, Elrog) are currently $1200-$1600. During summer I run Gainclone which is okay for background listening but very far from the SQ levels of my main system (- as well as of SIT-3, for what it's worth). Yes, SIT-3 beat badly Gainclone.

I understand you don't have the amp we are talking about nor any experience with. So you are writing about a different amp, right? Even the speakers you listed look dubious for a serious testing of an universal meaning. But let it be.

And on top you even don't read what I wrote since I don't question the quality of SIT-3 but only what was written on internet about a character of the sound. Thousands of posts around 2HD curves, DHT emulation etc etc and some people get some expectations - not only me.

To repeat: the device (just like any other) should be put in a real experience perspective, not 6moons or forum or sales pitch.

As written earlier, for what it costs, it's an excellent amp except that it is simply not what was hyped. If you come from the solid state line (like planet10's ACA) quite possibly you will not know for better, unless a very very expensive ones, 5 figures minimum. And the consumers of D'Augustino and similar are not here anyway.

Last edited:
Even if Srajan 6moons articles (where he expresses a preference to any DHT amp) were not linked here as a proof of superiority (why would anyone link his blahblahblings on this forum?), it would have been enough to read numerous repetitions of similarities of SIT with DHT 2HD curves to understand as a hint towards expectations.

I certainly agree the comparison is unfair since a proper DHT amp is more costly than SIT-3 (unless you buy s/h). And certainly much more difficult to DIY than any SIT based clone, very much off limits of a soldering beginner. You get what you pay, sometimes.

Guys, I really don't mind to think whatever anyone wants - my post was directed only to those who are aiming SIT to be a replacement for DHT (which was a part of a hive mind). These voices exist and they also deserve to be heard just as those claiming SIT superiority to DHT.

No need for any non-related discussion really and I will not continue this.

Best!

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Guys, I really don't mind to think whatever anyone wants - my post was directed only to those who are aiming SIT to be a replacement for DHT (which was a part of a hive mind). These voices exist and they also deserve to be heard just as those claiming SIT superiority to DHT.

You can't write things or make claims without getting any kind of response. If you want no reaction, post this sort of thing on your own web site on a locked blog. Seriously, no one will take what you as fact, since all of this in mostly based on personal taste and a lot of technical variations.
Can't just say, "this what we found" and be done with it. You're going to be asked questions.

Considering the company here, saying someone can't build something, is a mistake in judgement.
That's the thing about aquiring a skill. Just takes time to prove a point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.