0.5ml of Snake Oil for $59

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joel said:

I love it. Anyone who is not willing to try every conceivable product that any idiot can market is "anti-tweak", "inexperienced", and "less intelligent".:bigeyes:
Do you and your $50 resistor buddies think you're the only ones who ever swapped one cap for another? Maybe I went down that road long ago?

And as far as the "empty vessel" comment - Eric, are f'in kidding me? Where were you during the discussions of core materials, choke winding capacitance, miller effect, slew rate distortion, etc, etc, etc.??
The minute any inane topic such as tube rolling, silver interconnects, or this magic-lacquer come up - the same dozen people come out of the woodwork and make proclamations. For any truly technical discussion you are nowhere to be seen. I wonder why that is? :dodgy: :scratch:

Good for you Joel,

Here's another silly sweeping generalisation like many others I keep on reading. Just like all policemen, or doctors, or lawyers, or whoever, you are absolutely right in your implications, we *are* all exactly the same in our experiences and philosophies, and as you actually said, we are also the same dozen people!:goodbad:

Although, hang on a minute (if I am permitted to taint the very essence of this thread with some truth, once again!), I only joined the forum at Xmas, and my first post ever was on Boxing Day, I seem to recall!

I simply daren't mention closed minds again as that is blasphemy too.:bigeyes:

Regards,

Re: Re: Eeeediots Abound.

Joel said:

I love it. Anyone who is not willing to try every conceivable product that any idiot can market is "anti-tweak", "inexperienced", and "less intelligent".:bigeyes:
Do you and your $50 resistor buddies think you're the only ones who ever swapped one cap for another? Maybe I went down that road long ago?

And as far as the "empty vessel" comment - Eric, are f'in kidding me? Where were you during the discussions of core materials, choke winding capacitance, miller effect, slew rate distortion, etc, etc, etc.??
The minute any inane topic such as tube rolling, silver interconnects, or this magic-lacquer come up - the same dozen people come out of the woodwork and make proclamations. For any truly technical discussion you are nowhere to be seen. I wonder why that is? :dodgy: :scratch:

Well Joel,

Here's support for you.

I am so ignorant, stupid and unintelligent, that I can think of a dozen things that I could spend $59 on that would improve some aspect either of the music or my life, before I coughed up for a soupcon of goo.:dead:

:bulb: For the English equivalent of $59, say £40, I could get two very good bottles of Scotch. I have found these to be most efficacious in mellowing the sound of the system.

Perhaps I have a few grey cells left after all?

7N7

Re: MELLOW SCOTCH.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Errr...how long do those two bottles last?

Cheers,;)

:clown: Who's counting? Whatever, long enough to realise that there's more to life than goo.

slowmotion said:

for instance a sip of Talisker ;)

Aye, Talisker right enough, or Glenmorangie (EC8010's favourite), McAllan, or particular favourites of mine, Laphroig and Johnnie Walker Black Label.

Cordially yours,

7N7.

I'd spend the 60 bux on a concert ticket (or cover charge and a few drinks) and a CD, but that's just me. In my view, nothing improves my system as much as some new music. Especially not "mysterious" goo from someone who gives every indication of being a con artist.

My çedillas are quite intact, for anyone who cares.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TO TWEAK OR NOT TO TWEAK.

Hi,

Have we really discussed all that??:bigeyes:

The minute any inane topic such as tube rolling, silver interconnects, or this magic-lacquer come up - the same dozen people come out of the woodwork and make proclamations.

Inane?

Hmmm...seems there can't be any audible difference (does not imply better) between various coupling caps, cables, resistors, tube brands and all other voodoo stuff like chassis material, cable directionality, correct coupling cap and (new to me) resistor orientation and so on.

Boy,wouldn't that be convenient.:rolleyes:

All in all no progress has been made since the late fourties and Stella is a German beer, must be.:(

Cheers,;)

mmm...seems there can't be any audible difference (does not imply better) between various coupling caps, cables, resistors, tube brands and all other voodoo stuff like chassis material, cable directionality, correct coupling cap and (new to me) resistor orientation and so on.

Hehehe, in my opinion the system is a bit
like a fine tuned race car, everything matters to get the
last tenth of a second out of it, but of course the basics matters most, the rest is just dressing
;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LA CEDILLE.

Hi,

You're using a qwerty keyboard just like most of us here I assume?

Try the alt + 2 digit combinations and you'll find most of all these odd characters.
E.g. Alt + 92 = \

I suspect SY knows them all by heart or has them documented.

Cheers,;)

P.S. Ah, je vois que mom soupçon est correcte.

Thks,SY.;)

Re: LA CEDILLE.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

You're using a qwerty keyboard just like most of us here I assume?

Try the alt + 2 digit combinations and you'll find most of all these odd characters.
E.g. Alt + 92 = \

I suspect SY knows them all by heart or has them documented.

Cheers,;)

P.S. Ah, je vois que mom soupçon est correcte.

Thks,SY.;)

Mais non! Votre soupc0231n est formidable!

And sadly it doesn't work either!

7N7

7, (may I call you 7?): Make sure the "num lock" on your keyboard is activated. I remember all those keystroke combos because, in my work, I have to respond to inquiries in French and German, besides English. Nothing amazing, purely a matter of practice- and the French, in particular, get upset at breaches of orthography.

Frank, if you like him enough to call him "mon cher," you can call him "tu." Unless you're Charles deGaulle.

Who are you calling an Abounding Eeeediot?

Joel said:

Hi, I'm a relatively new member, crawling out of the woodwork to make the following proclamation:

I can't speak for the Altmann stuff; I've never tried it.

However, I recently conducted a test with coating a pair of paper-coned speakers with C37 lacquer. My colleague and I used 3 layers and coated the units of just one speaker, one layer at a time. After each layer had dried, we listened to the speaker and compared it to the uncoated cabinet. Our impressions:-

1. There was a clear difference after each layer.
2. There was, in our view, a definite improvement with each layer.

That's it. I don't think that we could produce any measurable difference (although of course there would be if we knew what to measure) and I won't try to put the differences that we heard into words because they probably wouldn't mean anything.

Just my opinion.
Now bring on the "truly technical discussion" please.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.