MidBass Horn

Hi

i am trying to construct a hyperbolic front horn. To make the construction as easy as possible, i would like to build top and bottom straight and just curve the sides.

Is it a problem, if the sidewalls get curve that way, that the distance is first getting smaller? Area will be conform to the calculated area.

Even if the 3D sketch is not 100% correct, it shows my problem:
1712606964997.png

1712607185341.png

Thanks and regards

Christian

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The narrowing would be fine from a loading perspective. It's usual for these to narrow that way when you make one dimension conical.

The question is, what is this horn for? Where do you draw your line between horn loading and waveguiding.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Christian,

As long as the cross sectional area conforms to the calculated area the horn should perform like the simulation.

Screen Shot 2024-04-08 at 4.48.19 PM.png

Using two straight side pieces, making the second portion as in the red lines above will make very little difference in the response, and will avoid the pain and suffering of laminating and bending plywood..

Unlike my suggestion in your ElectroVoice HP6040 MEH experiment, I have a lot of actual experience in building and comparing mid-bass horns with and without the side curves to base the above statement on ;) .

Art

• Thank You
Reactions: 4 users
Thx for the answers!
Allen:
The question is, what is this horn for? Where do you draw your line between horn loading and waveguiding.
In red you can see the simulation with the same driver in a 200L closed Box. I know, for many people the Horn is to small, to call it a horn... but ~6dB to 10dB gain an lower cut off is it worth... isn't it?
Will use it between 90Hz and 300Hz.
1712641838184.png

Hi Art
Unlike my suggestion in your ElectroVoice HP6040 MEH experiment,
Glad, that you remember me!

Using two straight side pieces, making the second portion as in the red lines above will make very little difference in the response, and will avoid the pain and suffering of laminating and bending plywood..
Yes... will build it straight, but maybe, i will cnc some curved plates for filling up the not bended area ;)

I made an interesting horn design in Hornresp just now. Trying to make better use of my four Seas W26FX002 that are currently housed in sealed 60L boxes, two in each.

The size of this horn is quite modest compared to my usual late night designs, but creates a nice midbass channel from 70-200Hz. The drivers are not your typical low QTS speaker drivers, but I can assure that they are smooth and likes playing midbass. Magnet motor is reasonably strong.

A square horn might gain strength from the floor compared to a round horn. and I might use a version of your design for easy assembly.
seas w26fx002 horn 70-200hz.png

I would love to keep them in their enclosures and just reduce the volume in the cabinets and add the horn.
It is not like they are producing much bass now anyway.

Sorry for stealing thread, I just thought our projects were similar.

Last edited: