Vanguard Scout Speaker

An update . After 24 hours of run in my little Scouts have really opened up. The bass also sounds much more balanced - not so pronounced . I must say - these little Scouts are real gems. My other speakers are the Falcon Ls35a Gold Badge . If you’re a Jazz lover and the natural tonality of brass and reed instruments is important to you - these amazing little speakers are for you .

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have my take on L3/5A’s called the Vanguard - now sold by Galion Audio as the TS Voyager.

https://www.galion-audio.com/products/galion-ts-voyager-speaker

The reviewers really like their sound. Being sealed though, they don’t have the deeper bass of the Scouts but perhaps a smoother mid range.

I’m glad that having the Scouts break in is making them smoother. Speaker suspensions, spiders, and surrounds all improve with break-in. Typically, at a minimim, 30 min of playing some music with deep bass notes. The bass extension will improve along with reduced distortion.

I have seen this effect and even have measured proof of it.

Just received my Vanguard Scouts Yesterday.... Thank you for such a fine product at an amazing Price ! --- The Speakers sound Fabulous and the Rosewood Veneer is nothing short of Gorgeous ! --- One modification that would Save you money and time and improve the product is to Skip the grills altogether. No drilling of holes, No Grommets and No Grills.... Just let those drivers and Rosewood Shine...... I'd even buy another pair!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just received my Vanguard Scouts Yesterday.... Thank you for such a fine product at an amazing Price ! --- The Speakers sound Fabulous and the Rosewood Veneer is nothing short of Gorgeous ! --- One modification that would Save you money and time and improve the product is to Skip the grills altogether. No drilling of holes, No Grommets and No Grills.... Just let those drivers and Rosewood Shine...... I'd even buy another pair!
I would love to get magnetic grills with invisible magnets for the next batch. Best of both worlds. Glad you love how they sound.

I ordered a pair of Scouts. I have 3 other pairs of bookshelf speakers I have no room for, so naturally I need the 4th pair. I do plan to use these as "computer speakers" but on speaker stands behind my computer monitor. There will be no walls anywhere near the speakers, as speakers' backs will be facing open space. I expect the reported rich bass will fall off a lot but hopefully enough remains to serve for voices, midrange instruments.