Questions of faith - reflections on your own taste, thoughts about right or wrong!

No. I'm thinking there is a database of CD rip hashes. If there is an error reading the disk then the hash check will will not match with the thousands of other rips of the same CD.

The only remaining issue, which is rare, is that sometimes de-emphasis status can be encoded in atypical ways. There are ways to check for that, but CDs with pre-emphasis are pretty uncommon. If you want to can try manual deemphasis and see if you like that better.

In most cases, the analog output stages of CD players and external DACs sound terrible. Most DACs drive power amplifiers perfectly well on their own - without any analog stage. Then the bad sound also disappears. A little more tuning of the CD player, then...-)

That external DACs, then with a separate power supply, with additional cables and transitions and and and, sound better than an internal one is a misinterpretation. In most cases, loudspeakers and amplifiers are only capable of gray sound, so that a fatter overdubbing summarizing sound is necessary.
This I nail down;-)

That external DACs, then with a separate power supply, with additional cables and transitions and and and, sound better than an internal one is a misinterpretation. In most cases, loudspeakers and amplifiers are only capable of gray sound, so that a fatter overdubbing summarizing sound is necessary.
This I nail down;-)
That is most commonly an issue of not sufficiently attending to the ground loops.

Most CDs don’t have the sweetness, dynamic range or natural tone of vinyl. CDs tend to fall on bland and non-entertaining side of things, which is not really surprising since the CD laser servo feedback system is flat footed and can’t keep up with the wobbling and fluttering disc, nor does the Reed Solomon error detection detect or correct all errors, not to mention scattered CD laser light floods the transport compartment and gets into the photodetector where it’s read as signal. We won’t even talk about the transport and DAC vulnerability to seismic type and t other forms of vibration. And to top it all off the clear layer ain’t clear, polycarbonate is only 88-90 % transparent. As Bob Dylan says at the end of his records, good luck to everybody.

Last edited:
I think that a lot of progress has been made on downsampling hi-res masters to 16-bits/44.1KHz. I can tell when records have been made from analog masters, hi-res masters, and no masters (direct disk).
Ed
What about from analog masters, to DSD256, to vinyl?

Also, if you can tell all that doesn't it mean there are clues to the source encoded within the dynamic range of an LP? If so, that what does that say about SINAD ranking of digital audio devices? IOW, it appears there is a distinctive sound to each type of source despite some of the commonly measured numbers.

Ever since I got involved with CD players and their problems with construction and parts and all the ignorance about electronics that goes into their development, I've really enjoyed listening to CDs;-)
In addition, so many mistakes are often made when cutting records, starting with unnecessarily bad cutting amplifiers... I bought a few records on purpose, because of sound and to have, but they are not listenable compared to CDs.

Most CDs don’t have the sweetness, dynamic range or natural tone of vinyl. CDs tend to fall on bland and non-entertaining side of things.
Mostly that's a problem with DACs. There are also some poorly recorded CDs, of course.

Also, my vinyl setup cost more than my best dac. Significantly more. Yet the dac is getting closer than most people have ever heard to reproducing natural tones and textures. If you are using a cheap and or old dac/CD player, then what do you expect?

Point is, its often not the CD that is the limiting factor. With a well recorded CD the limiting factor is usually the rest of the system.

My records are old enough not to have DSD intermediates. The digitally mastered ones often had 50KHz sampling rates. Analog tape to digital master to LP can sound quite good. It can also sound awful... entirely dependent on the recording.

I like the smoothness of records, but even the best records don't disappear as well as CDs. The two are very close though. :)
Ed

Excellent is just a word and means different things to different people. Shrillness is only one problem withCDs generally, as I posted earlier today bad sound can have many descriptors. Airless, compressed, two dimensional, lack of bass frequency pitch accuracy and articulation, tinny and threadbare spring to mind.it’s not what kind of system you have, it’s what you do with it.

first airliner passenger: Hey, look down there! Those people look like ants.

second passenger: No, silly, those ARE ants, we haven’t taken off yet.

Last edited: