LM3886 vs Marantz PM6006

Hello. Silly question. I have a hobby of building some audio circuits. Thinking about building an amp with LM3886 and Rod Elliott P88 preamp.
Could it compete in sound quality and technical specifications with my Marantz PM6006?.
Of course leaving aside the Marantz's digital input options. Just comparing the sound quality.
Can someone tell me what Damping Factor value of the LM3886?
Greetings

Which LM3886 build?
I haven't heard a PM6006. The Neurochrome Modulus-86 could likely could give it serious completion for clean reproduction.
However, if the Marantz has its own 'sound', then you may prefer that over an amp without a sound.
Based on the other LM3886's I've built, I would doubt that a 'regular' LM3886 build would impress in comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
LM3886 amps are very good - Neurochrome and My_Ref being the primary candidates. I think they'd likely sound better than the PM6006 if properly implemented. Damping factor is 642 for Modulus-86, I think it's about 60 on the My_Ref. Both are good. I believe I prefer the My_Ref - which is less technically adept in terms of specs, but allows bespoke parts to be used which influence the sound. I have also found that I prefer slightly looser bass, so damping factor of 60 is better for me (but don't read into the damping factor thing too much, once you're past a damping factor of 20 I don't think there's a huge difference).

Thank you all for replying.
Since it is difficult for me to access Modulus-86 or My-ref, I am going to try to build this one that I show.
I will have to make the PCB myself.
What do you think about it?

Attachments

• 68WPowerAmpLM3886.pdf
    343.3 KB · Views: 73
I was watching the Neurocrome channel. Excellent tutorials. I really liked them and I think they are really very good amplifiers that outperform many of the entry-level and mid-range commercial amplifiers.
But since it is an entertainment project, it seems a bit onerous to pay US$280 for a stereo kit (without the cabinet).
The day I decide to sell the Marantz PM6006 I may replace it with these kits.
I think that to test I will build with the Aliexpress kits.

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Comparing apples and oranges in more ways than one. The Modulus-86 is a composite amplifier that uses error correction to drive the distortion of the LM3886 way down. The difference is very noticeable compared to an LM3886 without error correction. All the chip amp harshness is gone and all you have is the music, amplified.

You can build a Modulus-86 for around $500 if you're reasonably frugal with the chassis and is able to do the work yourself. Or less than $1k if you go with the very nice and professional-looking chassis that I offer. The resulting amp compares well with the Benchmark AHB2 which last I checked sold for $3500. The Benchmark provides a bit more power, but that aside the two amps are similar in their performance as I recall.
If you want more power, I have the Modulus-286 and -686. Either can be built for less than the $3500 of the Benchmark. Just saying...

I don't know the circuit in the Marantz. I do know the LM3886 very well and highly recommend that you improve the decoupling if you build the circuit you showed in Post #7. Without that 10-33 uF electrolytic cap the LM3886 will oscillate at high output current. That can kill your tweeters.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for the advice Tomchr.
I have really been enthusiastic about your LM3886-based amplifiers and although the Marantz PM6006 has good performance for an entry amplifier and has different analog and digital inputs, I would have
liked to build one of yours.
But there are a series of obstacles. First the economic; Second, I live in Uruguay and I must make purchases through a courier located in Miami and that shipping has a cost separate from import taxes.
I have no other option but to build something from Aliexpress or the amplifier that I showed in the attached document (Adding the electrolytic caps, can this circuit be acceptable?).
Greetings
José

Numerous time i thought to add more decoupling as advised by Tom but i didn't (currently 1uf film+470uf electro close to the chip), but soon i'm going to modify my set up & then i'll do it. I have some good low esr 10uf rubycon electrolytics, i'll solder those at the bottom of the board.

DEAR AL, i like to advice you that before buying any stuff read everything carefully about 3886 at Neurochrome site. Also read lm3886 datasheet, which is very good for diy'r like us. Anyway, i can tell you that you can get much better PCBs from Ali than what you have uploaded. But beware of Fake lm3886 chips.