DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

I'm guessing what he's saying is basically that the SMPS has a higher slew rate than a LPS. I don't see why that would always be the case, as long as the capacitance is high enough and (I guess) ESR is low enough, though I'm sure some of the regulars in this thread will chime in. It probably also depends on the transformer used for the LPS. Both have their pro's and con's.

Sounds like regurgitating something he's read or heard.

I’m not regurgitating anything, of course most of the things you’ll read on this forum were read or heard before. You don’t have to be mean, if you don’t have anything positive to say, then don’t !

About his question, some people will find the LPS with less capacitance be the reason for a more fluid/faster sound.

I'm sorry - I certainly didn't mean you or wkloppen, or intended to be mean. Might be a language barrier.

I read it as wkloppens friend stating something as a fact and that you can hear it, without reservation or explaining any kind of mechanism behind it. I'm for sure no expert and there might be something about it, under certain (perhaps less than ideal) conditions.

I read it as wkloppens friend stating something as a fact and that you can hear it,
Correctly read:)......I'm just curious he means with slow compared to an smps. He can't explain it and says basically the sound is perceived as slow or slower compared to an smps. I was hoping somebody could elaborate on it...maybe even know or using the term as well when comparing both power supply options.

On a local hifi-forum one user posted the same reaction when switching from LPS to SMPS: "It's fast!"... And stated it was enhanced attack to the sound.
He didn't mention how the previous LPS was built, but I do know he liked the biggest cans from earlier builds with LPS.
I'll guess thet if one has multiple smaller value e.caps instead of single big ones in a LPS, the difference might be smaller to negligible.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
He said a LPS is "slower" then an SMPS and that you can hear it.
The debate between linear power supplies (LPS) and switch-mode power supplies (SMPS) is indeed a nuanced one.

When your friend mentioned that a linear power supply might be "slower" than an SMPS, the term "slowish" could be referring to several factors, but it's important to consider that LPS typically incorporate more bulk capacitance than a SMPS, which can have an impact on performance:
  1. Response Time: While SMPS can adjust to changing load conditions more rapidly due to their higher switching frequency, linear power supplies with sufficient bulk capacitance on their rails are equipped to handle transient loads effectively. The large capacitance can store and release energy quickly, mitigating potential slow responses.
  2. Efficiency: SMPS are often more efficient, converting power with less energy loss and producing less heat. This efficiency improvement can sometimes be interpreted as a more "immediate" response. However, efficiency does not always correlate with audio performance.
  3. Transient Response: Linear power supplies with sufficient bulk capacitance excel at providing a stable voltage even during sudden changes in power demand. This capacitance acts as a buffer, ensuring that the power supply can handle transients well.
  4. Physical and Electronic Noise: Linear power supplies are typically quieter in terms of electrical noise compared to SMPS, which can benefit audio quality. The perceived "slowness" might be a misunderstanding of the linear supply's smoother and more consistent power delivery, which some might interpret as lacking punch compared to the usually more aggressive SMPS.
  5. Subjective Perception: Audiophiles often use subjective terms to describe audio quality. The term "slowish" might refer to a qualitative impression rather than a technical reality, suggesting a perceived difference in the immediacy or punch of sound. SMPS might sound more "brisk" due to their high efficiency and rapid response to load changes, while the smoother delivery from an LPS can be perceived as more relaxed or, to some, less immediate.
It's important to stress that perceptions of audio quality are highly subjective. What one person describes as "slow," another might appreciate as "smooth" and "refined." Both LPS and SMPS have their own strengths, and the choice often comes down to personal preference and specific audio setup requirements.

Given that your linear power supply setup probably includes sufficient bulk capacitance, it should be very capable of handling transient responses effectively. If you're satisfied with the performance of your linear power supply, that's what matters most. However, for a more empirical comparison, you might consider testing an SMPS in your setup to personally evaluate any perceivable differences in sound quality.

@fireanimal has tested and used many SMPS he's the best guy to ask on this matter.
Personally I think either are fine as long as they are designed well and are fit for purpose.

Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 8 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's,

last week @mainframe99 asked a question regarding the bias resistors R105, R106, R107. Which was referring back to this post.
I have included some notes that cover his question in the updated BOM's

Thank you @mainframe99 for your contribution. 👏

The Dropbox folder has now been updated.

1st GB Updated BOM 2024 May 22
2nd GB Updated BOM 2024 May 22

There is also a copy of the BOM and Schematic for the 4th GB Boards in the Dropbox folder.
Thanks to @Harry3 for getting the BOM ready for all the 4th GB members. 👏

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Transient Response: Linear power supplies with sufficient bulk capacitance excel at providing a stable voltage even during sudden changes in power demand. This capacitance acts as a buffer, ensuring that the power supply can handle transients well.
When we say sufficient capacity...would like to define a range of sizes in capacities ? for this amp the Wolverine.
Thanks.

Hello everybody,

Really happy to see the group buy is going so well! This is just to let you know that the heatsinks of any of our 400mm deep (3U/4U/5U) Dissipante or Mini Dissipante chassis heatsinks can be customized to accomodate the Wolverine boards. It's a simple as adding this product to your cart and selecting the output in the dropdown menu https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=811

It only takes us a couple of days after you place your order to ship everything as each heatsink is drilled pretty quickly. In the next hours each member who partecipated in the group buy will receive a special coupon code from Stuart to get an extra discount

Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...he-wolverine-build-thread.385920/post-7460678
1716420910154.png

Reactions: 2 users