A Fistful of Solder

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of simple amps. The only requirement is that it have about 12 or fewer components. These will usually all fit inside your fist, hence the thread title. For those using SMT parts, you could fit 2000 parts in your fist so that doesn't count! :)

I have built several myself, and I always find that they sound very good, honest, and oftentimes, very lifelike with a super quiet background.

I think my Pocket Class A amp was the first one.

616921d1495124663-xrk971-pocket-class-headamp-gb-pocket-class-schematic-v8-voltages.png

Hand etched PCB using Sharpie marker as acid resist:
591358d1484063759-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-pocket-class-bf862-zvn5306-ha-v1-new-oscons.jpg

I think Adason made Juma's LU1014D headphone amp, that certainly qualifies.

have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is Juma's LU1014D HPA that Adason was building in LTspice. Seems to work well as a headphoneamp with a pretty heavy 1.64A bias current. Changing the source resistorsto larger values (they need to be the same value though) will drop the bias current. 10R will get about 175mA, for example. One thing that is strange is that the gain changes with the load. This is not good for speakers or headphones that have variable impedance - it will cause a non-flat frequency response. For example, at 8ohms, the peak output is about 750mVpp whereas the output was 1000mVpp for 32ohms. This is with 330mVpp input.

Schematic:
attachment.php

FFT for 1.0Vpp into 32ohms:
attachment.php

Looks like a nice harmonic profile.

Attachments

• Juma-LU1014D-HPA-01-schematic.png
    Juma-LU1014D-HPA-01-schematic.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,094
  • Juma-LU1014D-HPA-01-FFT.png
    Juma-LU1014D-HPA-01-FFT.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,071
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The BF862 and IRF610 work really well. There is the DCA which helps simplify assembly and provides a cap Mx PSU. Some of the parts are redundant to allow options for different input caps and to spread heat over 4 resistors below the mosfet source. It’s the same amp as the PCA above.

xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

679489d1525836497-xrk971-pocket-class-headamp-gb-xrk971-desktop-amp-schematic-v2-production-portrait-png

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is Juma's LU1014D HPA that Adason was building in LTspice. Seems to work well as a headphoneamp with a pretty heavy 1.64A bias current. Changing the source resistorsto larger values (they need to be the same value though) will drop the bias current. 10R will get about 175mA, for example. One thing that is strange is that the gain changes with the load. This is not good for speakers or headphones that have variable impedance - it will cause a non-flat frequency response. For example, at 8ohms, the peak output is about 750mVpp whereas the output was 1000mVpp for 32ohms. This is with 330mVpp input.

Schematic:

FFT for 1.0Vpp into 32ohms:

Looks like a nice harmonic profile.

I got this measured.
Why do you say resistors needs to be of same value, just curious. Upper current source can be independently set.
Its interesting that feedback can cause non-flat response with variable resistance load, weird.
Thanks for doing the simulation.
Few comments. Juma specifued 100ohm resistor, parallel to speaker, as 2watts. There is absolutely no voltage on output, no current through that resistor, no need for wattage.
On the other hand, those 1-2ohm resitors he specified for 2 watts, need to be 20watts.

Attachments

• 20211114_162042.jpg
    20211114_162042.jpg
    994.6 KB · Views: 128
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Adason,
In my simulations, when I made those resistors non equal, the output clipped and was very asymmetric. Thanks for making measurements. The THD is quite low. Maybe the parallel resistor to the load is to ensure that it never drops below 200ohms in which case something strange happens?

How does it sound to you? Is there any strange frequency response anomaly as headphones in general don’t have flat impedance curves (except for planar magnetic or AMTs).