Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

XRK Audio Your source for high performance projects and DIY components: amplifiers, headphone amps, preamps, natural sounding speakers, power supplies, protection circuits, and more

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2021, 10:39 PM   #361
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I see your signature line makes sense now.
Old 25th November 2021, 04:40 AM   #362
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The design of the LSA Signature 80 speakers is now completed and going to production. I really like how they sound.

LSA Signature 80 Design is Completed - YouTube
Old 25th November 2021, 06:04 AM   #363
Dibya is offline Dibya
diyAudio Member

Imaging seems really good , but i liked the tone
Old 25th November 2021, 06:43 AM   #364
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

That’s playing off your TDA7294 Xmas amp.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:45 AM   #365
Dibya is offline Dibya
diyAudio Member

I didn't expect TDA7293 to resolve that well

I guess i never owned really good speakers ,

Late Arnie Nudell of Infinity and Genesis fame loved planer drivers,
Old 25th November 2021, 12:19 PM   #366
turion64 is offline turion64  United States
diyAudio Member

And where are these going to be sold X?

Thanks, Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The design of the LSA Signature 80 speakers is now completed and going to production. I really like how they sound.

LSA Signature 80 Design is Completed - YouTube
Old 25th November 2021, 12:20 PM   #367
YashN is offline YashN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Affordable ribbon tweeters?
Old 25th November 2021, 12:21 PM   #368
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If you are into clean low noise linear supplies, check out the SLB thread. Active bridge, CRC, cap Mx. Is able to provide continuous 4A current with about 1mV rms ripple at 38v.
Looks good, thanks. Will have to revisit measurements on my own as well.
Old 25th November 2021, 12:34 PM   #369
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
the DIY stuff morphed into a rack full of ARP and Korg analog goodies, which I stupidly sold for pennies in the digital 80's.

Now I'm building a mix and match collection of analog, digital, and mixed mode synthesizers. Some even have vacuum tubes. Here is a picture of the incomplete modular. Some of the "modules" are Behringer clone synths, and the two with wood frames are DIY digital synths of my own design. Both are Teensy powered. "Blue" is a digital mono synth, and the tiny synth to Blue's lower right is three synths in one small battery powered box, each with 6 voice polyphony.

On yet another bench is a pile of Eurorack modules, each in some stage of partial assembly.
Nice rig, George. Great choices in the Neutron and the Boog, DM as well. Biggest Industry disruption ever with Uli stepping into the fray, making these synth architectures finally affordable to us again as the resale prices for old analogues kept skyrocketing. Not sure why they made a poll on the formerly-named Gearslutz about which synth to develop to delay the release of the most asked-for synths.

DM was actually modeled initially on the Junos. From there, it is not too hard to release a Jupiter, but we're kept waiting for now. Supply chain disruptions can play a part today too, but many of their chips are internally produced.

Their TR-808 Drum Machine, Oberheim, CS-80, ARP 2600 are all really tempting.

BTW, I mentioned it in my thread on the SSE: I also built my own Analogue Modular, including the PSU and Power Distribution, casing, etc... Will post pics some day and also of some of my other synth-related work (I have more projects than hair).

What PSU comes by default with the Model D and Neutron?

Have you heard of the Kurzweil V.A.S.T. synths? They are digital/DSP but allow access to building architectures within it. Hugely powerful. I have one of those. Grab a second-hand one (like a K2500 or a K2600 rack or keyboard with sampling option and effects). Decades of joy with those.
Old 25th November 2021, 01:56 PM   #370
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN View Post
Nice rig, George. Great choices in the Neutron and the Boog, DM as well.
I got the Boog as an "open box demo" for under $200 expressly for the purpose of opening the box a little further to see exactly how it was made. The investigation revealed that it is indeed a pretty faithful clone of the original Model D circuitry done with modern SMD components and assembly techniques. MIDI and a few other enhancements were added. I might already have a "clone of clone" ladder filter operational on a breadboard.

I got the DM "used" on Ebay to pair with my nearly 30 year old Roland JV-880 to create a simple multi timbral, multi channel sound module bank for the development of a MIDI sequencer. The Roland is a good 90's digital synth, and the DM is a good 80's analog chip synth. Don't know if the CV's and gates are accessible inside, as I have not even opened it up....yet.

Quote:
Biggest Industry disruption ever with Uli stepping into the fray, making these synth architectures finally affordable to us again as the resale prices for old analogues kept skyrocketing.
The synth world's opinion of these clones is split. Those who buy up old originals as investments are unhappy. Those of us who like to tinker, are pleased. I wouldn't dream of ripping into a $2000 Moog Model D. A $200 Boog "D", is an acceptable opportunity.

I believe that the line was crossed when they cloned a competitor's current product, the Arturia Keystep. I bought the Arturia.

They also sell their clone chips to the DIY world through the Cool Audio brand. I got plenty of all of them. ALFA RPAR in Latvia also makes reissues of some vintage synth chips. Building cool synths has never been easier.

Quote:
What PSU comes by default with the Model D and Neutron?
The D, Neutron and K2 all come with a 12 volt 1 amp wall wart AND a Eurorack ribbon cable. They can be powered either way, but only +12 volts are needed. All are also Eurorack sized so they drop in and plug into an existing eurorack setup.

There doesn't seem to be much DIY synth activity on diyAudio, but there is a thread here discussing our synth building. Unfortunately, it has seen only 66 posts in 7 years. Rather than adding to the chatter here where few are interested, maybe our detailed synth stuff should go there, as will my future work:

Modular Synth build

Hide this!Advertise here!