• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AlNiCo magnet update

I get a lot of questions about the AlNiCo magnet Betsy's.

1. Yes, they sound much better than the standard Betsy.

2. They are still a "special" in that I don't typically stock them. More accurately, I can't source magnets fast enough to keep them in stock. There's currently both a trade war and a pandemic that is making this extremely difficult.

3. Email me at wildburroaudio using gmail.com and I can put you on the waiting list. The next batch of magnets could arrive Summer 2021.

4. Material costs are jumping all over. Prices will be going up for the next batch. I still see the AlNiCo Betsy as being a great value in comparison to other fullrange peers.

Best,

Douglas

Competing with electric cars for the heavy metal.

easset_upload_file5001_2143215_e.png

Nickel%20prices.PNG

The price of the last batch of alnico was $380/pair. I’ve still got some in stock, but I’m not sure if I can afford to build more going forward.

Got that right!

As much as I've been spoiled by AlNiCo from the get-go, time marches on and was replaced with samarium-cobalt and now Neodymium is my fave since TTBOMK it's the first to meet all my motor goals of a relatively small magnet that can match a field coil's max < ~ 0.1 Qts with at least an order of magnitude lower cost, true 'heart attack' fast transients like we can normally only get with a compression horn; so at the 'grass roots' level of DIY audio can we afford it yet?

And, for those of us who are willing to pay "Fostex money", is there any chance you will be offering alnico drivers anytime soon, or should we look elsewhere. Unfortunately, great sound ain't cheap.
This has been a question that I've been unwilling to answer at this point, but the answer is probably not.

That said, I have at least one pair sitting here that I should stop hoarding. $500/pair.

Last edited: